Converted from chickens to quails!

They do love the dust box! Males are not very loud although they do have a crow. If you search Coturnix rooster crowing on google or I think there maybe a link on this website to a video that will give you an idea how they sound.

Through my research before getting the quails, I thought I would get eggs when they reached 6-8 weeks. Not true...they just stated laying yesterday at 15 weeks!! It was a long wait but we are excited to finally collect some eggs.
That's pretty late, is it cold where you are? In the South they lay pretty well through the winter although not as consistent as when the days are longer and warmer. My experience is they start to lay about 9 weeks.

Last edited:
That's pretty late, is it cold where you are? In the South they lay pretty well through the winter although not as consistent as when the days are longer and warmer. My experience is they start to lay about 9 weeks.
I live in Southern California so it's warm here for the most part. I was really surprised by how long it took them to start laying. Maybe the absence of any males was a contributing factor.

Through my research before getting the quails, I thought I would get eggs when they reached 6-8 weeks. Not true...they just stated laying yesterday at 15 weeks!! It was a long wait but we are excited to finally collect some eggs.
The time of year will be a factor I suppose. Are you in the northern hemisphere?

I live in Southern California so it's warm here for the most part. I was really surprised by how long it took them to start laying. Maybe the absence of any males was a contributing factor.
That very well could be the reason as I have always kept a few males. Maybe the males get the females hormones going sooner? I have a cage that is 8'x 3' and can be divided in two. i incubate about 35 eggs at a time for approx 30 chicks. At 3 weeks (or less in the summer) they are out of the brooder. At 6 weeks I divide the cage in half for 1 male and 7 hens a side. I end up culling approx. 1/2 for eating and the other half I keep for laying until I repeat the cycle. So far I have done this about a dozen times....learn something new to improve the process every time.

Back
Top Bottom