converted metal shed

sandymike

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
We have a converted metal shed that we renovated into a chicken coop. It is an 8 x 10 and gives our 5 buffs lots of play room. We created big windows in each side for cross ventilation and a huge opening in the front with a walk in door. Today my grandson did a great job creating a small chicken door in front which opens up to the pen, which allows the chicks to go in and out without opening the big door. I am having lots of fun with them and getting their new home comfy. Can hardly wait until they start laying, but it will be a while as they are only 5 weeks old. This is a great site and I have learned so much.

My metal shed coop has a wood floor which sometimes get wet if we have blowing winds. I don't want it to have to replace it in the near future. Any advice on what others have used for bedding on wood floors? Thanks

I personally at the moment use wood pellets that have now turned into sawdust. I also have used wood chips. However I am going to try sand next because of the testimonials on this site.

Before I put in my bedding I bought a piece of vinyl flooring about a foot too long and a foot too wide for my coop (my coop has only a 4 x8 foot print). I then cut a six inch square off of each corner of the vinyl floor.

This made the flooring resemble a cross some what. I then popped the flooring into the coop and the cutting allow the vinyl flooring to run up the walls approximately 6inches. This protects the wood floor from moisture. It also makes cleaning the coop a lot easier as well.

Pop it out hose it off pop it back in again and you are good to go with your fresh bedding.

Back
Top Bottom