Design Ideas Welcome - Converting Play-set Into Chicken Coop

I’m located in super northern, coastal California (Arcata, CA).
You can add you location to your profile, and then it's always there. Location and climate matter, and what works for me in Michigan might not for you in California.
This may be a dumb question, but how do you weatherproof the ventilation? Just by making sure you have a long enough overhang from your roof?
Just as important is predator proofing. Figure to cover openings with hardware cloth.

Keeping weather out... Overhangs and awnings work well. You don't want rain or snow (if you get snow) to blow into the coop.

Before you put this in its final location (if it's moveable), note which direction brings most of your weather. Most of my wind and rain come from the west, so I have bigger openings to the north and south.
8 should be doable in there but I'd do 4 and then another 4 a year or two later to help with more consistent egg production over time (assuming eggs are a priority for you).
I second this advice! Bonus: you'll get to have chicks (the really cute stage of chickens) twice. But then you will have to integrate them into the existing flock.

4x8, are you sure?
Oh, you're going to extend the enclosed part onto where the upper deck was?
Do you plan on removing the upper floor in the already enclosed part too?
Yes, sorry, should have explained that better. The goal is to fully enclose from the front 4x4s to the already enclosed area. I’m thinking I’ll rip out the upper deck and the half wall under it to open up the 4x8 floor plan. I toyed with the idea of leaving the upper floor area, but it’s about 4’ tall, and is 4x4, which would be quite a lot of space for roosting bars, and maybe a bit too tall/deep.

Putting your nest boxes on the outside as @rosemarythyme suggested as a bump out would be a great space saver here. Accessible and locked by you on outside. Another tip....., lift up lids (roof)are notorious for leaking. A drop down access covered by the nest boxes roof overhang is better.
Thanks so much for letting me know about leaking lift up lids - I had been curious if that was an issue. I’m loving the idea of the drop down covered access.

You can add you location to your profile, and then it's always there. Location and climate matter, and what works for me in Michigan might not for you in California.

Just as important is predator proofing. Figure to cover openings with hardware cloth.

Keeping weather out... Overhangs and awnings work well. You don't want rain or snow (if you get snow) to blow into the coop.

Before you put this in its final location (if it's moveable), note which direction brings most of your weather. Most of my wind and rain come from the west, so I have bigger openings to the north and south.

I second this advice! Bonus: you'll get to have chicks (the really cute stage of chickens) twice. But then you will have to integrate them into the existing flock.
Thanks for letting me know about adding my location to my profile. I must have skipped right over that in account setup. It should be added now :)

We don't get snow, but we get a lot of rain, so I'll make sure to extend our roof overhang. Right now it's pretty short. I appreciate all the help/advice!

Good idea....good for high roof line over roosts.
Will you re-roof the entire area?
Then you could add good large roof overhangs to protect your ventilation.
How hot does it get there in summer?

Here's some tips abut heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/
Yes, we will definitely need to re-roof what is there currently, and then extend the roof onto the "addition" (front 4 feet). We are coastal, so I'm always trying to be cognizant of materials that will hold up in the salty air, but I do have a love for metal roofs.

It is very temperate here - summertime usually stays 55-72 degrees. We will occasionally get one 80+ degree day, but they are very rare.

This may be a dumb question, but how do you weatherproof the ventilation? Just by making sure you have a long enough overhang from your roof?
As others have noted a big overhang helps, as do awnings or hinged open panels such as these:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-coop-is-done-now-for-the-run.1381538/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...do-members-think.1498249/page-2#post-25025344

Your weather sound amazingly nice so you likely don't need excessive amounts of ventilation. Having the triangles open on both sides up under the roof and maybe a couple top hinged windows on the sides would give you more than enough ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom