Converting a Lab Oven to a Cabinet Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AngieChick, Feb 26, 2009.

1. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Last week I picked up a big metal convection style lab oven from the University Surplus with the idea of converting it to an incubator.

I currently have a wireless thermometer/hygrometer. I will need to put in some sort of ventilation. As it is a convection style and has tubing throughout the sides I am thinking that I may not need a fan for keeping it a consistent temperature? Is this a reasonable assumption? For ventilation I am considering putting a couple of holes in the top and bottom of the door, as I can remove the inside cover of it and see where the tubes are (I don't want to drill through the tubes accidentally). I may put in a small window in the door to see a thermometer/hygrometer, which I can install on one of the racks. I figure I can also get a couple of turners from GQF to put on the 2 middle racks, and leave the bottom to hold pan to put containers of water in for humidity.

I am more than likely going to use my hova-bator for hatching, and so I am not convinced that I need a big observation window in this thing.

Any thoughts on my scheme?

Thank you!
  2. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Oh that will be a beauty!
  3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Thank you, Happy! I really hope it works out. If it does it will be what I assume is similar size to the dickey/sportsman type of incubator. I'm estimating my total cost will end up around $60 (fingers crossed!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by