Converting a Lab Oven to a Cabinet Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AngieChick, Feb 26, 2009.

1. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Last week I picked up a big metal convection style lab oven from the University Surplus with the idea of converting it to an incubator.

I currently have a wireless thermometer/hygrometer. I will need to put in some sort of ventilation. As it is a convection style and has tubing throughout the sides I am thinking that I may not need a fan for keeping it a consistent temperature? Is this a reasonable assumption? For ventilation I am considering putting a couple of holes in the top and bottom of the door, as I can remove the inside cover of it and see where the tubes are (I don't want to drill through the tubes accidentally). I may put in a small window in the door to see a thermometer/hygrometer, which I can install on one of the racks. I figure I can also get a couple of turners from GQF to put on the 2 middle racks, and leave the bottom to hold pan to put containers of water in for humidity.

I am more than likely going to use my hova-bator for hatching, and so I am not convinced that I need a big observation window in this thing.

Any thoughts on my scheme?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Oh that will be a beauty!

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Thank you, Happy! I really hope it works out. If it does it will be what I assume is similar size to the dickey/sportsman type of incubator. I'm estimating my total cost will end up around $60 (fingers crossed!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by