Converting a not-a-greenhouse to a chicken coop

That's what I learned the hard way this afternoon/evening. This is my first project more complicated than hanging shelf brackets or assembling flat pack furniture (which, while it can be complicated, is all pre-drilled, after all)!

2 smaller hinges are better than 1 large hinge. Building with recycled stuff can take imagination. To me it's second nature learned from my Granddad. If you need an extra set of eyes or a different point of view send me PM. Always willing to help.

Thanks! All I've got left is my door, the other pop door (still can't decide whether the run's going to be in the front or the back, and I figure it's easier to make 2 doors now and maybe not use one than change my mind later) and the nest box. And put the trim back on, since on one corner, that's what's needed for predator proofing.

And of course the interior.

And the run, but since we're planning on starting with 2-4, that can wait awhile--I think 25-50 square feet per bird's plenty for a few months
lol.png

Actually, I may pick your brain--too bad you're at the other end of the state, so I can't borrow the extra hands!

What is a "pop" door? Are you starting with a low number of birds because you are new or just not sure how things will work. You might get a better price when buying more and you won't have to worry about adding later and deal with the newbies being accepted. Just a thought. I wish I could see it to help with the door idea. Make sure you can walk in easily for clean up. I wish I had that kind of room and a shed to work with. Pick away... always here to lend a virtual hand. lol Maybe two!

"Pop door" is what most people seem to call the chicken door--and I haven't seen anyone guess why it's called that
lol.png
My husband suggested that we start small "n case we don't like it," though I'd already decided I wanted to start small with at least one started pullet (most likely from the feed store--last time I was there, they had chicks old enough to be out of the brooder) of a breed that's known for going broody, and get day-old pullets to fill in our allowance. That way, no incubators or brooders needed.Since I can't have a rooster anyway, I might as well go for a colorful egg basket and a colorful run! (The only reason my husband's not helping with the coop is that I told him this is my project--though he has done some cuts for me, and I used him yesterday to hold the end of a bolt still that our daughter wasn't tall enough to reach.) The people door is going into the extant doorframe, though I can't use the old door, since I can't figure out how to 1) rehang the sliding glass door 2) predator-proof a sliding glass door (and the front pop-door is now where the track would have to be, anyway) or 3) attach wood to the current door to turn it into a hinged door. So I'm making a door with 2x4s, plywood, and hardware cloth.

"Pop Door" (crazy Nor. Cal. people), Are you wanting the chickens for egg eating or for egg laying for chicks. Didn't quite understand what you said,
Quote: Are you looking for chickens that sit on the eggs? Because I've read that they will stop laying when they sit.

If you have a Restore in your area you can get a cheap door and put a pop door, (lets just call it a chicken door) in it just like a doggie door. Two birds with one stone.

Here is an easy design. Or maybe a dutch door...

Just tossing some ideas out there.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that you were new
welcome-byc.gif
You'll see pop door everywhere on here
wink.png
A broody is a hen that will sit on eggs or very young chicks to raise 'em--I'm going to go for day-old pullets, because we're not allowed roosters on our property.

"Pop Door" (crazy Nor. Cal. people), Are you wanting the chickens for egg eating or for egg laying for chicks. Didn't quite understand what you said,
Are you looking for chickens that sit on the eggs? Because I've read that they will stop laying when they sit.

If you have a Restore in your area you can get a cheap door and put a pop door, (lets just call it a chicken door) in it just like a doggie door. Two birds with one stone.

Here is an easy design. Or maybe a dutch door...

Just tossing some ideas out there.
Dude!!!!

I want that second door for my house....PRETTY!!!!!!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom