Converting a not-a-greenhouse to a chicken coop

The inside is finished and occupied!

My girls got to hang out with the lady's other birds after we picked out ours and boxed them up.

Congrats for the new additions. You will enjoy their company. Did I read that they are laying already? COOL. I know that you will seeing things that you want to change, add, or remove. Here is something I noticed when changing my set-up. The feeder you made is cool, I think you will need to make the opening wider, at least a couple of inches wide. If you can see how they turn their heads to reach into the trough? When their combs get bigger, they will scrape against the edges and cause open sores.

Did you do any research on using cedar leaves in the litter? I have read in BYC many concerns in regards to using cedar wood, and cedar shavings, I don't know about the leaves.

Your girls are really cute and so are the chickens, my granddaughters love to feed and play with our flock, the grandsons are scared silly.

Let the naming begin....

I've so much ventilation (between 20 and 25 square feet) that it's cooler in the coop on a sunny day than it is in the shed.
That's good though because it still gives you options, cover some up to control the temps. You have a good set up, enjoy it for a couple of days, sit inside with the flock and just observe what do, watch how they adapt to the coop and change whatever they don't like or something to make it easier for them.

they look real nice, I did not want roosters so we did a mail order and got all sex link peeps that they said are all hens, got 7 black and 8 red, we had a small coop for 5 hens but then got more so we got a camper and fixed it up as a coop worked great have a nest where the truck was, we did end up with one rooster as we got eggs and hatched them our self, that was fun we put eggs in egg crate closed lid and turn then on the last day of turning we took them out of crate of course we got 3/4 roosters, we took 5 of them to auction, we are waiting for the last ones to lay eggs.

the building next to it was the old coop which we fixed for our rabbit.

Except for painting the bare boards on the outside, the coop is done (barring any redos I decide to do...)

Now the door will stay closed when we're inside!

The nestbox is waterproof. I got to buy a blowtorch
big_smile.png
We already had the roofing roll, and I also needed to bridge a gap between the gutter and the edge of the roof (nice waterfall down the inside back wall when it rained when I was working inside before we got the girls) and the blowtorch was much cheaper than the gutter tape stuff plus something to cover the nestbox roof.

After a couple of months using a handsaw, drill, crowbar, hammer, and a blowtorch, I hurt myself for the first time this afternoon while folding a ladder. I knew there was a reason I hated ladders...

Back
Top Bottom