Converting barn to chicken coop

Mommarunyon

Chirping
Oct 8, 2021
Ohio
I have a 20 by 40 (I believe) 2 story pole barn, with metal sides and roof. Our downstairs consists of 2 stalls with dirt floor and a storage/tack room with steps inside that head to the second story. The second story hasn't been used in 20 years.

If I wanted to convert our 2nd story into a coop, would it be possible? Please give me the good/bad and ugly on this idea. Also we have several other buildings to choose from but I really thought this would be a great place if I could make it work.

Also my goal will be to allow them to free range during the day (in our pasture with horses and cattle) and put them up at night.

*will add pictures later

The only thing is be concerned about on the 2nd story is that they wouldn't have access to the outside and they spill water which could cause the floor problems in the long run
I was actually thinking of creating an opening on one end of the barn and attaching a wood frame, metal roof extension, covered in electrified metal mess with mutliple perches to act as a ladder or just open the door and allow them to come down the steps in our supply/tack room and head out to the barn yard.

As for water I was thinking a small heated trough with a drain to the outside.

Would this work?

Main issues with having a coop on 2nd floor:
1) You will need to carry up and down: bedding (both clean and soiled), possibly feed/water, eggs (if nest boxes up there).
2) You will need to provide a way for the chickens to get up and down - making a ramp or stairs up that distance can be difficult, depending on how high up you need to get them and the breeds of birds you're dealing with.

Having to haul dirty bedding down the stairs and clean bedding back up would be a deal-breaker for me. I can handle the hill on our property with the gorilla cart, but no way am I doing stairs or ladders with the soiled shavings.

Can you possibly section off a portion of the ground floor for them?

Main issues with having a coop on 2nd floor:
1) You will need to carry up and down: bedding (both clean and soiled), possibly feed/water, eggs (if nest boxes up there).
2) You will need to provide a way for the chickens to get up and down - making a ramp or stairs up that distance can be difficult, depending on how high up you need to get them and the breeds of birds you're dealing with.
I'm thinking teenage labor to carry bedding up, 😂😂😂 and medium sized door in side to throw old bedding down; then tractor or dozer to spread it out or carry it away.

As for ramp or steps either herd them down the steps into the supply room then out the door or outside perches in between the buildings to act as a ladder to go into the opening approximately 12 feet high. (I'm still unsure if this will work but tossing the idea around)

Back
Top Bottom