Converting child's playhouse - what do we need?

minniemom

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
Hi All,

As I said in another post, we are brand new to raising chickens and are really looking for some advice to make sure we do things correctly.

We're currently working to convert my children's playhouse (basically a shed) into a chicken coop. I've been reading and reading about coop design and construction and I seem to find so many little nuances, differences and just contradictions between what is necessary and what isn't!

Can anyone help me out and give me details on exactly what we need to do? I've read a bit about perching rods, poop boards, etc, etc. The only thing I'm sure of is the nesting boxes!

Also, what do you all recommend for flooring? As of now, the coop just has a plywood floor. Do we need to cover that with something before putting down straw?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer :)

I think everybody has their own opinion and you have to work with the structure you have,

My husband made my coop and he made it to look like a dollhouse. I think the big things are the nest boxes, size, etc - but the most important thing is to make it predator proof. Make sure a raccoon cannot open the doors or windows. Make sure an oppossum or weasel cannot chew through any chicken wire - use hardwire cloth.

The roosts, I am still trying to figure out. We had put a few up, but we need to find a better way to anchor them. The chickens were heavier than we thought they would be sitting their together.

We bought a scrap piece of vinyl flooring and put that over the plywood. We did the same thing to our duck house. Makes easier cleaning.

We painted the roof and shutters. Screwed hardware cloth on from the inside and put it all,back together !

Back
Top Bottom