Eliza_Snyder

Hatching
Jul 22, 2018
So after months of looking at wonderful Pinterest designs and pricing sheds, my husband and I are scratching our ideas of either buying a new shed and make it into a coop nor are we converting one of the several old sheds we have on his family's old farm property due to way too much wear and tear. Our new plan is to just move our two coops and build large runs for them. However, I have been pricing materials and I'm blown away at how much materials cost. Too pay that then still have to build it (that part doesn't bother me as much, but the $$$ does), all that work for the runs to look less than pretty, but at least functional. Which we have now but we really want our runs to not be an eye sore like they are now. So I'm considering buying 2 dog lots and converting them into runs. I plan to reuse as much of our welded wire that we have and possibly buy more if needed for the skirt.. I don't want to use chicken wire or anything that can break, however thinking that part won't be on the ground, only about half way and up I'm thinking that may be okay.. I plan to make a roof over half of it and aviary netting the rest. But again, I feel as though this is going to turn into an eye sore.

Who here has used a dog lot for a run and how did you go about securing it? What size did you find worked best for you(we have around 20)? How did you fill in the gaps?
Photos are a big help... I appreciate any and all info.

For our first run, we used a dog run.
We actually had one on the property left by previous owners. It was typical chain link 10ft by 10ft, 6ft tall.
I had no idea what I was doing but figured it would work. It did. It was the easiest thing to do, because obviously, all we needed was right there.
We were hooking to a lean-to of the barn we converted into a coop. So, we used each of the four panels in the shape we needed.
The next time we needed to expand, we hunted for used dog runs, found one, and did the same thing.
I have yet to use anything else.
It’s such a time saver to have panels already done. I am always on the hunt for dog runs.

That said, if I knew then about keeping chickens what I know now, there are certain things I would have considered.

We literally just set the panels to the ground, much like you would for a dog.
Since chickens love to dig, and always want what’s on the other side, we’ve had issues over time with gaps between the ground and the panel. These have been dealt with by placing blocks or something similar around the perimeter each time we see any gaps.

We are getting ready to make a run on the other side of the barn, creating the same thing essentially; however, this time I will be taking the extra time to lay concrete blocks along the edge first, and then setting the panels onto that. It will then have to be “tied” onto the concrete to keep it in place.

The other thing I have to consider, for myself, is that these are chain link.
While I have not had any issues yet, and many do not, personally, I am currently thinking about doing something over it. It would not be as pretty, but it drives me nuts that all the tiny little birds come into the run through the chain link, leaving their lice and crap they carry.
I’m now trying to decide our priorities, and whether to continue using them.
(I likely will though.)

In our case, we will be using them as cover also. We used a net type tarp on the first one, but due to sagging issues, we are going to lay additional panels over the top this time.

I’ve sworn by the dog panels, but it would depend on area!! Many people have little things that kill flocks that can easily get through chain link. We don’t have that issue much here, so it works for us.

So after months of looking at wonderful Pinterest designs and pricing sheds, my husband and I are scratching our ideas of either buying a new shed and make it into a coop nor are we converting one of the several old sheds we have on his family's old farm property due to way too much wear and tear. Our new plan is to just move our two coops and build large runs for them. However, I have been pricing materials and I'm blown away at how much materials cost. Too pay that then still have to build it (that part doesn't bother me as much, but the $$$ does), all that work for the runs to look less than pretty, but at least functional. Which we have now but we really want our runs to not be an eye sore like they are now. So I'm considering buying 2 dog lots and converting them into runs. I plan to reuse as much of our welded wire that we have and possibly buy more if needed for the skirt.. I don't want to use chicken wire or anything that can break, however thinking that part won't be on the ground, only about half way and up I'm thinking that may be okay.. I plan to make a roof over half of it and aviary netting the rest. But again, I feel as though this is going to turn into an eye sore.

Who here has used a dog lot for a run and how did you go about securing it? What size did you find worked best for you(we have around 20)? How did you fill in the gaps?
Photos are a big help... I appreciate any and all info.
I envy you guys having such big and wide spaces that you can convert to anything you guys want. I hope I had the same option. :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom