1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Converting horse stalls to chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grasspack, Oct 16, 2011.

1. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    they could run around in stall till spring with no problems

2. steinway

steinway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Quote:I am in MI (not UP but still pretty far north). I am currently using one horse stall for Rabbits in cages and am thinking about adding chickens next year. Would love to have more information on how I could use my other horse stall for this use. Mine have a half wall and then steel bars the rest of the way to separate them.

I noticed another person who responded asked what kind of chickens and at this point I have no idea, I am just getting started with my research. Figured I needed to have a place for them to stay before I picked out the actual birds.

Any suggestion would be appreciated on how I could use the stall, if I need to provide access to outside for them (I figured I did but your response indicated someone didn't).

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I haven't done that before but it really sounds like that it would work. That sounds like a great idea. If I had horse stalls, I would really consider turning it into a chicken coop. Would love to see what you may be working with. Can you take pics of it and post? Maybe we can all talk it out and you can get some idea.[​IMG]

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Don't See why not I would give it a go!! [​IMG]

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have a slew of pics. I converted my 8 stall barn into chicken stalls. I use the LG auto waters where the auto waters for the horses were. Here they are. [​IMG]
    Ramp goes up to roosts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Out door brooder uses up 1/3 of a stall.
    [​IMG]
    Run is the length of 4 stalls and 17 ft. wide with 6 ft welded wire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    top of stalls were fenced in with welded wire. Front of the stalls were built with 2x8 and bull wire part the rest of the way up. Not all of the stalls have outside and inside double doors. Just the two on the end. The rest have inside single doors with welded wire at the top of the doors that open to a 12 ft. isle. You have to duck to go in but hay it works.

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Changed one of my mothers Stalls into a pigeon/Chicken coop. It is a 12 ft by 12 ft stall that has a concreted floor
    Now has an outside run That is 12 foot wide by 40 feet long and 8 feet tall.

[​IMG]

Inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front of stall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. steinway

steinway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    This is fantastic info and thanks for the pictures. I am getting some great ideas.

8. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

OH, I'm getting ready to put up wire or netting on one of my empty stalls too! Going to use it as temporary digs for quarantine and for a turkey. Great pictures from everyone! My stalls are 7 feet tall, so I was just going to run wire over the top and call it good. This is what I'm starting with...
    [​IMG]

9. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Here are some pics of my converted stall. The girls love it. It's pretty simple, but I made an extra pen for the babies 'cause they were getting bullied by the big girls. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I ran 2x4 wire around the posts to keep the kitties out, and some old roofing material to keep drafts out. They love the hanging tomato plants, too. Good luck

10. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Here is my converted tack room. Cut a hole in the wall for a ramp and auto door to pen.

[​IMG]

My husband took the shelving off the wall and made nest boxes out of them. We partitioned the front and covered in hardware cloth.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by