Converting my old KING fridge/freezer into a nice sized incubator

RoosterRoo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
PA
I had a few things laying around that I could have used for an incubator so I started making one from a aficiando thermoelectric wine cooler and then I remembered that I had a KING fridge/freezer in the garage that was just a storage for my powder coating powder.. SO.... I ditched the wine cooler idea and started on the fridge! Not only was it larger, but it was already wired and connecting my 225w incukit would be a breeze!

I first took it all apart and cleaned it. I then took the door apart and took out the out crappy insulation and put in some double sided thermoboard to hold the heat in on the door. I then got some lexan and cut a sheet the same size as the door panel so it would be flat and not have the shelves on it for even more room! I am in the process of cutting out a opening for a window but I am having a hard time finding a saw blade for stainless steel..

After the door, I then started to work on the main unit and compressor. I took the unit outside and then started taking things apart. Good thing this was old and not working so there was no expelling of freon into the atmosphere. One thing I liked about this is that it has the switch in it for the light to come on when the door is opened so I will just have to drill a hole on the outside of the cabinet for a small switch so I can turn the light on manually without opening the door!

So as of right now, this is where I am at. My incukit stuff will be here tomorrow (4/20/13) and I can't really progress till I get the rest of the stuff. I have some chicken eggs I got from a friends farm and they have been in the basement for about 5 days now so I NEED to get this thing running and finished this weekend!! Not to mention I have ~150 quail eggs coming next week!!

The thing I like about this build is that I can have the racks for the incubation and then on the bottom can be for that hatchings :)

Here it is so far! INSIDE measurements are 20.5" deep, 21" wide and 26" tall ! Should make for a decent sized incubator! }:)

Here is the incukit I bought

Details about the Incukit:
This device lets you add a sophisticated control module to your cabinet (or larger-style) egg incubator. This is designed to control the temperature, air circulation and automatic turner motors in your incubator.
Key features
- Proportional thermostat - minimizes temperature swings
- Comes pre-set to 99.5 degrees F (easily adjustable, if desired)
- Electronically controlled
- Digital display
- Controls the heater, fan and egg turner motors (it is not required to use this module to control all accessories, if you desire not to)
- Controls the fan speed
- Hatch timer
- Thermostat is calibration enabled
- Designed to work with both 110/120v and 220/240v power input (you will need a plug adapter for international plug configurations)
- Remote sensor for accurate temperature reading
- Easily mounts into your incubator
- Maximum heater wattage: 300 watts

Last edited:
Here is a late night update. I am trying to get as much done as possible before the morning because my Incukit will be here AND I have some eggs that need to go in Sunday-Monday at the latest! I added an external toggle switch for the light so I don't have to open the door or shine a flashlight inside to see the eggs. I also cut a 10" viewing window in the stainless steel door so I can monitor the chicks at all times. After I cut the hole I then took out the insulation and applied some caulking to adhere the insulation to the inside of the door and also to seal up around the new window hole.

Other things done were where the fridge thermostat was, I put a piece of metal duct work tape to seal the holes and also trimmed the plastic around the light (so I get more light throughout) and place a piece of that tape behind the bulb also to help reflect the light more and also to protect the exposed plastic from the heat of the bulb. After all of that, I noticed that the plus was a little shabby and well used so I replaced that also. }:)

More pics (HOPEFULLY the finished product) will be posted tomorrow sometime! for now here is what we have.

Well, after a long night and an early morning FedEx delivery from IncubatorWarehouse.com, I was able to finish my incubator! Now I have all day to get it dialed in so I can get the eggs in there tomorrow sometime and start hatching.

Here are some finished pics.

So.. While I was tuning the newly built incubator, I noticed that my grey indoor/outdoor thermometer was not reading the humidity correctly so I took a trip to the local Wal-Mart super center and found an Acurite Hygrometer. This unit measures temp AND humidity with high/low display and is PERFECT for the inside of the incubator! As soon as I got home and put the battery in, the Hygrometer was placed in its new forever home, inside the incubator...

The readings of this thing are spot on with the temp readings of the IncuKit! Now I am happily incubating @ 99.5-100.1 with no more than 52% humidity!!

Old one

New one that I HIGHLY recommend!!

Here are the Quail eggs that just went in. FYI, the chicken eggs that are currently in there are ALL with chicks ;)

I had a few things laying around that I could have used for an incubator so I started making one from a aficiando thermoelectric wine cooler and then I remembered that I had a KING fridge/freezer in the garage that was just a storage for my powder coating powder.. SO.... I ditched the wine cooler idea and started on the fridge! Not only was it larger, but it was already wired and connecting my 225w incukit would be a breeze!

I first took it all apart and cleaned it. I then took the door apart and took out the out crappy insulation and put in some double sided thermoboard to hold the heat in on the door. I then got some lexan and cut a sheet the same size as the door panel so it would be flat and not have the shelves on it for even more room! I am in the process of cutting out a opening for a window but I am having a hard time finding a saw blade for stainless steel..

After the door, I then started to work on the main unit and compressor. I took the unit outside and then started taking things apart. Good thing this was old and not working so there was no expelling of freon into the atmosphere. One thing I liked about this is that it has the switch in it for the light to come on when the door is opened so I will just have to drill a hole on the outside of the cabinet for a small switch so I can turn the light on manually without opening the door!

So as of right now, this is where I am at. My incukit stuff will be here tomorrow (4/20/13) and I can't really progress till I get the rest of the stuff. I have some chicken eggs I got from a friends farm and they have been in the basement for about 5 days now so I NEED to get this thing running and finished this weekend!! Not to mention I have ~150 quail eggs coming next week!!

The thing I like about this build is that I can have the racks for the incubation and then on the bottom can be for that hatchings :)

Here it is so far! INSIDE measurements are 20.5" deep, 21" wide and 26" tall ! Should make for a decent sized incubator! }:)

Here is the incukit I bought

Details about the Incukit:
This device lets you add a sophisticated control module to your cabinet (or larger-style) egg incubator. This is designed to control the temperature, air circulation and automatic turner motors in your incubator.
Key features
- Proportional thermostat - minimizes temperature swings
- Comes pre-set to 99.5 degrees F (easily adjustable, if desired)
- Electronically controlled
- Digital display
- Controls the heater, fan and egg turner motors (it is not required to use this module to control all accessories, if you desire not to)
- Controls the fan speed
- Hatch timer
- Thermostat is calibration enabled
- Designed to work with both 110/120v and 220/240v power input (you will need a plug adapter for international plug configurations)
- Remote sensor for accurate temperature reading
- Easily mounts into your incubator
- Maximum heater wattage: 300 watts
Hey ,,Where did you purchase the Incukit..?..I found a small fridge,,I wish to do this myself,,,<(SHHH don't tell the wife) Mine has a freezer compartment,,That I am going to designate to hens eggs an the bottom for quail..Will I need 2 of these you thinks? Any tip or anything you would do different?

Last edited:
Hey ,,Where did you purchase the Incukit..?..I found a small fridge,,I wish to do this myself,,,<(SHHH don't tell the wife) Mine has a freezer compartment,,That I am going to designate to hens eggs an the bottom for quail..Will I need 2 of these you thinks? Any tip or anything you would do different?

I wouldn't do anything different! My setup has been rock solid since day 1. I would love to have a dual compartment as I would make the bigger part for incubation and the smaller freezer compartment for hatching box ;) Basically a "poor mans" home-built sportsman. HERE is where I bought my IncuKit (the creators of it). I did that kit in my incubator and just used a bi-metal setup in my hatcher (look in my signature). Hope this info has helped!

Back
Top Bottom