converting playhouse into chicken coop

I have always used flat washers and screws - the really big metal washers, I think they're called "fender" washers at the hardware stores. The screw holds the washer tight against several of the squares in the hardware cloth.

Hope this helps.
Do you use a bolt on the other side of the screw to keep it in the plastic? I'm looking really hard at the pictures and just can't see lol
Any chance you could take a couple REALLY close up pix of the hardware cloth attachments from front and back?
We got some wide head screws, Teks #8 lath screws. There is 1/4" hardware cloth over the windows. Worked great for the summer while the chicks were growing and we were building a permanent coop and run. Ours was old and the roof leaked, when I checked on it after a storm this winter so glad we didn't stay with it. The roof condition was on of the thing that pushed us to a different hen house, rather than just building a run.

So did you just scrap the whole playhouse idea?
Mine is inside a larger "coop" - 12x6x5 ft chain link run with chain link roof covered by a tarp for shade and rain protection. It's really hot outside for the summer so all the chickens sleep on TOP of the house, but come winter I will need to put everybody inside to protect them from the wind as that's the real killer here. They have pretty well destroyed the roof by roosting on it and I was thinking of finding a way to replace the roof all together, but keep the house body. Wondered if you did anything to fix your roof??
Has anyone put a cooler on one of these houses? I live in Las Vegas and its HOT here. I need ideas on how to put a cooler on the coop.
Thanks
I live in Tucson and we use a Misting System for our rabbits and chickens. They seem to be doing great in the heat this year!

I added hardware cloth to the smaller windows on mine. I attached nesting boxes my dad built from treated plywood to the two larger windows. And the run on the right is a dog kennel my parents weren't using. We covered that with hardware cloth as well. The cinder blocks are for added protection since my doberman pup was really trying to get in. The blocks are doubling as an herb garden.
1f60a.png

Bump
Has anyone else tried this? We just got 2 old little tikes playhouses & want to convert them to coops. Thinking of making 1 a transition/ broody.
We live in Portland so lots of rain in winter.

Back
Top Bottom