Converting playset to coop?

4sqft per bird is minimum, IMO.
Especially in nasty winters where they may stay coop bound for days.

That's a good idea.
In spite of us being "Montana" we only got snow that was more than a half inch 3 times this last winter. I only shoveled my driveway once and that's because I was worried about the thaw making a mess not because I couldn't get.my car or truck through it. So I don't think they'll be stuck inside. (but I also recall about 3 years ago it snowed horribly. And it also depends on what part of the valley you're in. Downtown got hot way worse than where I live, they.got snow, we got nothing at my house).

Point being winters get cold, but not usually a ton of snow so they can still go outside.

Update: making a lot of progress. Exited.to get this thing finishes though! Way more work to be done. (Ramp isn't attached. Just leaning there to show my kids the plan)
PXL_20220501_211418898.jpg PXL_20220501_211040972.MP.jpg

You can see the planned nest box area. I was thinking 3 12" neat boxes because playset are is 3 foot wide and there was this built in platform.... Well it is narrower than the playset so only about 30" wide which would be too small for 3 boxes. I don't want to add one extra box somewhere so it looks like this either has to be moved or (I was just brain storming) I could take of the wood and use the deck but make it wider. The openings would be smallish but the box itself would be bigger... Thoughts? PXL_20220501_210925739.jpg

Sorry for the typos above. My phone has a mind of its own.

I'm still not sure how I would build the best box into the 4' section and this side is already built in so I might try to figure out a way to make it work where it is, seems do-able potentially easier? Anyone have experience with this?

How many chickens do you plan, again?

If you are going with larger breeds (Orps, Rocks, etc), making the nest boxes 15" x 15" is really nice for them. So put two larger nest boxes in that 30" space. Those two will be good for up to 8 hens. If you are planning for more hens than that, you could put two other nest boxes on top of those, like a double decker. You just need a landing roost in front of the top ones so the birds can easily get up there.

Wonderful so far! Just a note I always tell myself, related to predators and the food chain. If you've seen antelope, there has to be something you're not seeing, to eat the antelope. Wild cat or bear, wolf??
We rarely have mountain lions this close to town, but this herd does move around. It comes through 1-2 times a week so I'm sure it gets some predation but not this this close (which is part of why they're around. We have a ton of mule deer in town for same reason. )

I'm very aware of fox. Hopefully with two fences nothing else gets the chickens.

How many chickens do you plan, again?

If you are going with larger breeds (Orps, Rocks, etc), making the nest boxes 15" x 15" is really nice for them. So put two larger nest boxes in that 30" space. Those two will be good for up to 8 hens. If you are planning for more hens than that, you could put two other nest boxes on top of those, like a double decker. You just need a landing roost in front of the top ones so the birds can easily get up there.
This is a good point. I think I will put it on the 4' side then. I want to make it easy for my kids to collect eggs and I do have some bigger breeds. A brahma and 2 Bielefelders, but I will have 12 total chickens so I need at least 3 neat boxes. :)

This is a good point. I think I will put it on the 4' side then. I want to make it easy for my kids to collect eggs and I do have some bigger breeds. A brahma and 2 Bielefelders, but I will have 12 total chickens so I need at least 3 neat boxes. :)
Maybe stack the 3rd box on top of the other 2? That way it's available (and some chickens may prefer it) but not taking up additional space horizontally speaking.

Ok, so due to how this space is laid out and how tall my son is, I decided a double decker with 4 total boxes would be good. It basically takes up that whole side so I'm not making extra cuts an whatnot, plus the thing is already built to perfect height. I just have to cover it, put a hinge door on the back and a roof area which will be easy enough! I'm so happy it seems like an easy fix! (We'll see how it goes.)

Didn't.get as much done tonight as I wanted and I have to work out of town Wednesday-Friday..these things HAVE to get out this weekend. They don't have enough room at all :( poor little things. They love going outside. A couple like to fly/jump at each other a lot. I'm wondering if some of the sexed pullets aren't roos, 😂

Back
Top Bottom