Convince me not to extend daylight hours.

OTOH -- chickens are tropical birds. At the equator it's 12 hours of day and 12 night, more or less. So to me it makes sense to adjust their day to at least closer to 12 hours, not for eggs but to come closer to their natural cycles. Not sure I'd do it all at once at this point, though.

I do
hide.gif
sorta for all of us... I have a 30 x 50 agrage converted into a walk in coop-breeder pens on one side-a huge open chicken coop with hay bails/nesting boxes etc.. on the other. I keep the lights on in the breeder pen side as I have chicks in brooders with heating lights on them-which illuminates that side-have no choice that they get lights on 24/7 over there-it does not break my heart to get more eggs from that side either:) The other side roost by 4:30-5:00pm and are sleeping shortly there after.... as soon as all chicks have grown out enough I will shut those lights off for the Winter-

I've always had extra light in my coop for the winter without any adverse effects on the hens.. Until this year it was to keep the water thawed, but with a new coop set-up it will be strictly for extending their light so I can get more eggs. This is why I have chickens - to get eggs and meat. They have a heated water dish this year so that I can have the light on a timer instead of having light in the coop 24/7 like it has been in past years. Interestingly enough, they still roosted at dusk even with the light on in the coop.

Last edited:
shorter days will stop a molt till spring. I would give them a month or two , then increased the days. That is if you want eggs.let them have Dec. and Jan. off Feb. start increasing the light that way they will start their laying season early.

I am one of those people who extends light, but its dark here at 430 already and the sun is not out till 730 almost 8 am. with the run all tarped up to keep the northern winds out it also is kinda dark in there so they have about 12 hours of light. Winter hasn't even arrived yet and I am already looking forward to spring, I like seeing my chickens run around the yard instead being stuck in a run all day long. I got 21 chickens and I get about 11.5 dozen eggs a week
ep.gif

How long, do ya think, since domestic chickens have been "tropical birds"? I can't imagine that giving 12 hours of daylight is anything NEAR what they are used to at this point, nor is it natural to birds in northern climes.

Every creature living in northern climates adapts to the fact of winter. Creating a condition that is more like lighting conditions along the equator is kind of forcing your birds to adapt to tropical conditions after they've already adapted to northern climates. Just doesn't make any sense.

Might as well provide palm trees, sand, 85 degree temps and high humidity to top it off!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom