Convince me what the best breed is!

I say speckled sussex mine are very friendly and are good at free ranging whereas some of my others dont go past the feed bin lol.. breeds I wouldnt recommend is true ameraucanas they are so skittish and barely ever lay really isnt work it.

Funny you should say that....a couple yrs ago, I dressed one of them up as Cruella for BYC Halloween costume thread (using a cardboard cutout around her neck) She was such a good sport about it....
View attachment 3128149
This picture is saved on my laptop, in a folder with other interesting chickens.😂
I say speckled sussex mine are very friendly and are good at free ranging whereas some of my others dont go past the feed bin lol.. breeds I wouldnt recommend is true ameraucanas they are so skittish and barely ever lay really isnt work it.
I have 3, month old sussex that are so darn friendly that I'm concerned they're cockerels, talk about friendly!

My favorite breed is Appenzeller Spitzhauben—-This Swiss breed is cute, quirky and friendly. They are smallish but lay lots of big eggs (white).

Mine are silver spangled which is the most commonly available.
View attachment 3127575View attachment 3127576
X2!

Spitzhaubens are my favorite breed I've ever had! They're hardy, smart, beautiful, friendly, rare, and good egg layers.

I prefer bantams. They need less space so you can have more of them and they eat less which means less cost to feed and less poop to clean 😆. Their eggs are smaller but that doesn’t both me I just use more when cooking. I have Ameraucana, silkies and just recently added old English game bantams again, had them before and they were awesome. As far as personality
Ameraucana are friendly, active and spunky fun to watch, they like to come sit next to you and chat but not really cuddle they not fond of being picked up. And those cubby cheeks.
Silkies don’t fuss about being picked up but they don’t have much personality compared to the others.
Our OEGB that we had were extremely friendly and like to be petted and cuddled. Like the Ameraucana they are active spunky and tons of personality.
My Ameraucana and OEGB are skilled fliers, I have no doubt the could fly into the trees if a predator attacked.

Why do you like Silkies?
They are cute, most Silkies are friendly and have good tempermint, they do not lay very well but I don’t mind as they are pets, the roosters are known to be calm and can live together, all of my Silkies like cuddles, they are not as crazy as my lohmann brown girls( who are also cute and sweet) I found it easier to Integraite more birds in to their flock. And they are floofy.

I’m putting my suggestions in the hat!

I have Ameraucanas, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Marans, silkies, Polish, bantam Cochins, d’Uccles, Brahmas, d’Anvers, hedemoras, EEs, and Olandsk Dwarf chickens.

I absolutely adore my Ameraucanas. I have two self blue roosters and two 12 week old pullets in splash and blue. They are super sweet, full of personality, get along well with all my chickens, lay pretty eggs, and tolerate my children. They’re a good size and just the sweetest birds when hand raised. I do agree they can be flighty if they aren’t raised with enough attention. I’m debating starting to breed them, as I just adore them.
1D8846CC-A11E-47E4-86ED-C1FD2FC553A7.jpeg

1C42E724-5EFE-4BE0-86F9-5B3F3C2BA70E.jpeg

My Orps and Wyandottes are equal although I do have more Orps. They are big, beautiful, reliable layers for me and always without fail visit me when I’m out in my chicken chair 😍 I love the amazing variety of colors they come in, especially the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. They’re both real weirdos as babies, but once they mature they are sweet, mellow hens that do well in captivity (we have a big semi covered run).
875C535A-D37A-4026-B3E9-993B8E316E29.jpeg

I love my Marans as well but mine have always been a bit less friendly in comparison to the others I mentioned. They are sweet, good layers, lay beautiful eggs, and are my roosters favorite hens, but neither of them like being touched. They want to be next to me, but any touching sends them away. Despite that, they still allow medical treatment without much issue. They’re mild mannered and gorgeous, just less personality than my others.
D798D5D8-D190-49E7-A57D-8940B06962EF.jpeg

My Polish are seriously the sweetest girls but they are bottom of the pecking order and with the crest feathers they can be easily bullied. I’m also not sure they get much more uniquely beautiful than frizzled Polish hens. I’m not sure about laying, but they are definitely higher maintenance birds. Not real predator savvy and can often run into vitamin deficiencies with them. If you like silly and unique, Polish are a fun choice just not a “egg laying machine” breed 😁
BCC14392-9932-4863-8AAA-29CEA185D326.jpeg

Bantam-wise - I LOVE my porcelain d’Uccles. They are adorable, friendly, busy, sweet, little bearded chickies with big feathery feet! Watching them run is like watching someone in flippers, it’s hilarious 😆 ❤️ Of all the various bantam birds I have, they are the only ones that visit me and sit on my shoulders. The best thing about them is that they are both bold and sweet. These two tiny, silly feathered chickens live in the big chicken run/coop area and totally hold their own. They will commonly shove in to get treats with the big chickens without any fear! They lay pretty tiny eggs, but I love them for their personalities more than for eggs.
68E89ACB-EAEF-41FF-AD69-C5A6BB5F8A29.jpeg

In my flock, my most skittish and unfriendly chickens are my bantam Cochins (atypical experience on here though I am told). They are the only hens that fight, pick on the bantams, and want nothing to do with me or the kids. They make great broodies for egg hatching, but mine are rather grumpy and mean (more so than my silkies anyway) when broody! They are backyard pet quality so maybe that’s why they are not typical, but it was a bummer to have them be less likeable.

All my other bantams are amazing little creatures for one reason or another, but sort of middle of the pack favorites-wise 😍

Welsummers!! They are such a great chicken breed. Sooo friendly and sweet, in my opinion they are super pretty, they lay super pretty eggs, they lay about 250 eggs a year, and they are just WONDERFUL chickens!!
I agree. We love our welsummers and actually just received a young cockerel we ordered. I love egg color so in our flock we have welsummers & ameracaunas for their egg colors and then Rhode Island reds for their consistency. We also have a golden legbar we were gifted and she’s a nice layer. We also have a turkey (the big eggs) but I wouldn’t recommend one of those lol
9FFEE1C7-F071-4ECF-9C5A-9B20C9BEB384.jpeg

Orpingtons! They’re big, good looking chickens. They’re also super friendly, easily handled and seem to be the most healthy of my birds. I have some Orpingtons that are going on eight years old. Mine are all black.

Back
Top Bottom