Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ?

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh those are cuties for sure.
I just looked up “the colors of rats” on google...go have a lookie’ the patch ones are cute but I love the ones they call “blue” check it out :highfive:
They are pretty!
Rats don't really seem to come in Merle, though...but mice certainly do! And they're absolutely gorgeous. :love

I'm going to be the odd one here and agree with your dad. My MIL has pet rats and mice, they stink so bad and breed like roaches. They also bitr.
They really do stink! So much, I had to take a break when the last one died. Now I have a gerbil and two African Soft Fur Rats (smaller than rats, but bigger than mice, though closer to mouse size). They don't stink at ALL! I can go for weeks without cleaning their cage, and still really not smell them. With mice you'd better have a good, odor absorbing bedding, perhaps an air freshensr--or some fresh smelling thing in the room--and clean their cage once a week, preferably (to be honest, you shouldn't let any rodent's cage go much longer than a week without being cleaned :p ). Then temporarily, you might not smell them. :lol: FYI, they'll only breed if their genders are mixed (obviously). That's not recommended unless that's your goal: wanting babies, and knowing what to do with them (but in OP's case, I can safely assume that's not her goal). ;)

So we know that you want the mice, but do you want the responsibility?
Maybe your dad just cringes at the idea of more animals? Or maybe he is saying no because he doesn't want to add to your responsibility?

Do you have the room? You really want the mice, right? Your dad might just be looking at this from a logical perspective. Taking care of 5 guinea pigs, 8 chickens, and a dog... well, that's quite a bit to take care of.

If your dad says no, do not keep begging him for mice (or rats). Showing someone in actions that you are responsible is far more convincing than telling them in words that you are responsible.
If the answer is still no, then be content with what you have. I've learned that it's hard to want more if you are focused on and content with what you already have :)

What about budgies?
Perhaps your dad simply doesn’t like rodents like mice and rats.
I’m assuming you like birds since you have chickens.
I have often said if I ever can’t have chickens anymore I’ll get a budgie or parrotlet. :D
I'm thinking that dad doesn't want to be saddled with feeding a whole zoo, lol

With mice you'd better have a good, odor absorbing bedding, perhaps an air freshensr--or some fresh smelling thing in the room--and clean their cage once a week, preferably (to be honest, you shouldn't let any rodent's cage go much longer than a week without being cleaned :p ).

My MIL has pet rats and mice, they stink so bad and breed like roaches. They also bitr.

Sounds like she needs to clean the cages more frequently (or has too many). Male rats especially smell noticeably more than females, and I was cleaning the cage every 3 days with males. Females can go longer (I think I was cleaning every 5 days for girls) depending on population density and size of habitat.

Also don't use fragrance to try and mask the odor. Rodents have sensitive respiratory systems. If you can smell it, it needed to be cleaned yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom