cooked hatching egg!

gigi56

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
I ordered some hatching eggs from a reputable seller (I've ordered from her before). It took Priority Mail 6 days to get the box to my house. 3 of the eggs were cracked and 4 were a sloshy mess. The yolk of one of the four was about 1/3 semi-solid! There are still 9 whole eggs. Aside from the disappointment of the delivery, is it worth my broody hen's time to place the remaining whole eggs under her?

Whenever I ship eggs I ask the buyer if they want hatching eggs written on it but strongly recommend not doing. I've done experiments with it written and with nothing written and the written ones were always messed up way more than the ones not. I'm convinced it gets unwanted attention from people that have nothing better to do than to mess with your shipment. Don't trust anyone imo.

Whenever I ship eggs I ask the buyer if they want hatching eggs written on it but strongly recommend not doing. I've done experiments with it written and with nothing written and the written ones were always messed up way more than the ones not. I'm convinced it gets unwanted attention from people that have nothing better to do than to mess with your shipment. Don't trust anyone imo.
I like this idea. Only question is whether they routinely x-ray mail.

The last two times I have ordered hatching eggs, they have been plastered with "live hatching eggs/FRAGILE" labels, solidly packed, but the eggs were a mess. Broken eggs and scrambled yolks. My husband and I speculated at the effort it must have taken to had broken the eggs given the packaging. That any survived intact is a miracle. It's really a shame, as I would rather have eggs shipped, then live chicks.

If I order again, I may ask them to pack them same as normal, but not label, just to see what happen. It's hard to believe they could be treated any worse.

Wow, in specimen cups?! That's heavy duty packaging!
and if the receiver is good on the low side 60%hatch high side 100%. If also advise to use a broody hen. I'd also advise to NOT let eggs "rest" . Think about it eggs during shipment will more than likely be in a hot area where possibly the embryos could start developing then the buyer sets them on a counter in the ac at let's say 70degrees for 24hrs. I believe that is likely going to kill any growing embryos. I advise straight to hen or incubator

Sorry that you got that mess. You are right, that one does look cooked like in almost soft boiled. I don't know where you are, but couldn't you find someone who lives close enough to you to get some from?

No one around here has Welsh Harlequins. I've raised several breeds and WH is the one I want for my small homestead This seller was the closest individual I've found. I can still order eggs for my broody hen, even though my daughter won't get to enjoy them.

Ask some of your friends/neighbors that have hens and a rooster for some fresh fertile eggs. They will probably give them to you or sell them. I wanted to incubate some eggs but didn't have enough young hens to get good fertile eggs from so asked a neighbor I had never met and she gave me a dozen! Out of 13 eggs I have 8 babies a week old now! Maybe not good hatch rate but it was our first time. So exciting to watch!

Back
Top Bottom