cooked my chickens breakfast this morning :)

Mine get oatmeal mixed with flaxseed meal and plain yogurt about once a week, and it's gone in a flash. I learned not to cook the flaxseed meal with the oatmeal, though. It turns VERY mucilaginous-could be used for a horror movie! Now I add it after cooling the cooked oatmeal.

I did the same thing yesterday, its starting to get cold at night,
so i hand made up oat meal, rice, flax seed, dried out bread, from my kid leaving bag open,
mixed with water, and just a little Half and Half, cooked and let it cool, and they went crazy over it.

OOOH, you are all giving me ideas! I have all kinds of stuff frozen in the freezer that I won't be using! Now I know what to do with it.

Carrots, cauliflour, frozen peaches, frozen raspberries (just weren't that good) etc.

If you are thinking about doing the oatmeal on a regular basis you might concider buying whole oats from a grain mill/local farmer. Your cost will be much lower that way. Oats can also be sprouted the same way as bean sprouts for fresh greens as a winter treat.

I made my chickens some oatmeal this morning, posted pix too... They loved it and were messy eaters.
lol.png

2909928569_44c343c783.jpg

I made oatmeal for first time tonight for my birds, also. Uhhh, it was a sight! At first, they wouldn't have anything to do with it, typically wary. So I put some on my finger and put it in front of my friendliest bird (my sweet Dominquer who lets me stroke her head). She immediately chowed, with the others looking on jealously, getting closer but too scared to take it from me. She ate like this, on my finger, for 5 minutes. I withdrew my hand and she went to bowl. Others followed and a Roman gorge fest ensued! Very entertaining:)

I'm going to try it too. I don't even know how to MAKE oatmeal, since I can't stand the texture, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Just looking at it long enough to cook it will be a toughie - the things we do for our spoiled chickens! Guess I'll have to buy real oatmeal, not the sugar loaded instant kind DH eats.

I give my girls cooked oatmeal with a bit of organic milk or yogurt, dried cherries or cranberries and raw sunflower seeds. They love that. I also feed them flax seeds; toss it in the run (not too much), along with some scratch, dry oatmeal, wheatberries for them to scratch up. I'll hang a head of iceberg lettuce, not that nutritious, but they have fun pecking at it! They crave greens (except arugula) and especially radicchio, but it's expensive, so they don't get it all the time. Their all-time favorite snack is meal worms. I'm going to check the feed store today to see if they have crickets. I don't give them any meat products, but they need protein, so the worms and the occasional bug that unwittingly enters their space get snatched up in a flash. Since my chicks are in a coop/run, I have to provide everything for them. Anybody else have snack suggestions? They truly are obsessed with treats!

Blueberries are a favorite for my girls. English peas are a fave of my rooster's. See my Chicken Chronicles (blog) connection below, and read "Blueberry Follies". Will give you a good mental image of what to expect!

I also buy bird seed, which they love and throw for them to scratch when it's too hot for corn scratch. Pomegranate seeds are another love of theirs'.

Back
Top Bottom