1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cooked Rice?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gregnuttle, Jul 29, 2011.

1. gregnuttle

gregnuttle Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Are chickens okay eating cooked rice? I assume that uncooked rice is not okay, as with other birds. If they can eat it, do they like it?

2. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Well in my humble opinion, yes they can eat cooked rice, uncooked is a no no.
    My girls love rice, white rice is pretty much a filler though, not a lot of goodness in it, brown rice would be better, but dont give them too much or else theyll fill up on nutrient lacking food instead of there food and nutrient rich veggies and fruit etc. [​IMG]

3. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    why not uncooked? what about uncooked (dried) corn?

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:I agree with the cooked but not with the uncooked- think about it-- birds eat rice straight out of the field and it doesn't hurt them so why would it hurt them?

I give my chickens any kind of scraps out of the kitchen never had a problem with it either. The past 2 days they got bucket loads of tomato cores and peels- which they loved. Some people say tomatos are bad for chickens, but I don't see any ill effects. They still eat their egg layer, bugs, grass, and whatever else they can find.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Rice is fine cooked or uncooked it doesn't matter.

Chris

6. gregnuttle

gregnuttle Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Reno, NV
    I thought that birds weren't supposed to eat uncooked rice because it will expand in their stomach and harm them; maybe that's just a myth?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:It is a myth, Rice will expand no more than Oats or Wheat.

Chris

8. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:yes it's a myth. rice is just like any other grain. it goes into their crop first not their stomach anyway. I feed my chickens both cooked and uncooked rice as a special treat.

9. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Yes, it's a myth. Try this....put some rice in water and let it sit. It will remain un-expanded rice unless it is heated, if not to boiling then pretty darn hot and cooked for quite a length of time. And if you have my kind of luck it may not be get past the rock hard stage anyway [​IMG]

10. Diannastarr

Diannastarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Bisbee AZ 85603
    i have been making my girls corn bread....lol..[​IMG] with added nettle weed & ground up egg shells, my chickens love it & tonight i made them corn bread with the standard 2 eggs & milk & i added in nettle weed , ground up egg shells & wild bird seed, i have found a good wild bird seed at our dollar store , I can get 40 pounds of wild bird seed for $9.00 including tax thats a better price then we found at the tractor supply, and this wild bird seed has cracked corn, millet, wheat, sunflower seeds & ground grains , i use it as scratch, and i tossed a bit of it in their corn bread tonight....lol... we have 15 chickens so its a trick to make sure they all get their fair share of treats & i need enough to go around...!....lol.... i have been tossing them a bit of cooked rice, once in a wile ,left over from making our dogs food, so from now on thanks to all theses posts , i will toss them a bit more rice to, so thanks for that .!!! & my girls thank you ....!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by