Cooked rice??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmerGrant011, Nov 25, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have a small thing of leftover rice (white rice) and no one is eating it.. Can I give it to the chickens? It is only two days old??

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    of course! Why couldn't you? My chickens get all sorts of scraps! Chickens are scavengers they will eat anything.
    Whenever I clean out the fridge I just dump all the leftovers in a bucket and dump it in the chicken yard - the chickens go to town! Right now my chickens are munching on some deer meat that had been in the fridge too long, leftover spaghetti, turkey that I cooked last week, some old jello, and some rotten apples. [​IMG] You should see them - you would have thought I had just poured out a whole bag of layer pellets or scratch!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG]

4. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    I always have leftover cooked brown rice and our Silkies love it. I cut up apples and they love them. Winter I cook oatmeal and bring down warm. Aria

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Watch out.. This is one of their favourite treats. They will do ANYTHING for some rice [​IMG]

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    My chickies got the turkey carcass this morning.

7. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    My chickens love rice!!!

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Rice is king next to corn as a treat, sure you can and should do it often.

9. Ranch

Ranch New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    My wife is from Asia and she swears that they give chickens uncooked rice. She did not have chickens herself though. Is uncooked rice ok? A handful here and there?

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Cooked rice is one of my chickens favorite treats, right up there with spaghetti noodles, peas, and grapes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by