Cooked rice??

Oh my girls LOVE cooked rice!
droolin.gif
Go for it!

It's one of our chickens favorite foods.

We use a rice cooker (a plug in pot that makes rice easily). My wife wants me to get a second one just for the chickens. Normally it calls for 3 cups rice to three cups water, she thinks I should make theirs with 3 cups rice to two cups water so it's a bit thicker.

220px-Rice-cooker.jpg

We use those type rice cooker and they make such great rice, perfect every time, and we always have leftovers that go to the chickens.

Quote:
I have seen people do this in Mexico too. They feed a handful of cracked corn and a handful of uncooked rice. I believe the birds get most of their nutrition from freeranging though. I wouldn't give it (uncooked) to my birds.

My roos love cooked rice. They are usually so busy clucking with excitement that they can't actually eat it for a few minutes.
lol.png

Last edited:
I give my chickens everything that is left over from the kitchen--- everything!

Plus

Whatever I have leftover from a fish catching expedition. Bait, ribs from filets, fish roe, and a few back bones.

Rice is good food to a chicken. Why not give it to'em.

My son works at an Asian restaurant and brings me a 5 gallon bucket full of leftover white & brown rice once a week or so. I put 4 or 5 cups in a bucket with 4 or 5 cups of alfalfa pellets (really has corn, molasses, and other stuff too) and a cup or two of soybeans cover with water and let sit overnight. The next morning my girls go crazy! I have to sling it out in a line cause otherwise they get in too many fights over king of the pile!

Max

Rice and millet are all that were fed to chickens by the people that domesticated them in Asia. They had to find the rest of the daily nutrition on their own by foraging.

Back
Top Bottom