Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I love this great idea! Thanks for sharing it. Just to be sure...it can go under a plastic waterer? I wouldn't imagine it would melt it, but before I go ruining the the waterers I have, I thought I should double check!!

Found this thread this morning after our first encounter with frozen water. 27 degrees this morning and expected to get to around 21 over the next few nights. Had hubby make me two of the heaters this evening while I was at work. Other than now needing to add electrical outlets onto the back side of the coop tomorrow (using an extention cord for tonight) we are very pleased with ourselves! He used 40 watt appliance bulbs inside the tins and put bricks around them for stability. We were concerned with the 1 gal. plastic waterers melting until we realized that with the temperature of the surrounding air and the cold water from above the chances of that happening are slim to none.

He also made me two feeder buckets from 2.5 gallon pails with lids and a couple of flower pot saucers.

Hubby wants me to add pictures tomorrow, so I guess I'll get photos and post them.

I found this link a couple of weeks ago when the temps started getting cold here in Vermont - and I had gone through three mornings in a row with frozen water. Was going to head into Agway to see what I could get for a heated waterer when I checked here first. Boy, am I glad I did! For less then $5 I made one of these and I have not had a problem with water freezing since! Thanks to whoever came up with this idea!

Well......it worked! No frozen water this morning! YEA!!!!!
celebrate.gif

This may be a stupid question but can you only use metal waterers or can you use the plastic ones too or does the tin get to hot for them. My son got two of the plastic commercial ones for christmas and the plastic is cheap and broke already. Thanks for the Idea it is great

We use these only on plastic waterers here. I do not know if they will work for metal ones. Give it a try and let us know.

I'm glad this is proving helpful to so many. No frozen water is a major time saver for us and I'm sure much less stress for others, as well as our birds.

For the first time since I built my cookie tin heater I had a little slush in it in the morning. 1 gallon plastic waterer, 7 degrees outside, 10 watt light bulb!.

Back
Top Bottom