Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
That is what I did. Got tins for 50 cents each at the dollor store Christmas clearence. I had to make 5 of them. I used this cool little light socket with a plug built right on it from Lowes. No wiring required, just screw in the bulb and plug the other side to the the extension cord. I cut a notch in the lid and rim of the can and cover with electrical tape and put the cord right through. I made a little craddle with hardware cloth inside the can so the bulb wouldn't touch the botton and used electrical tape to tape the socket to the hardware cloth and to the botton of the can so nothing moves around. I made all 5 in less than an hour.

Oh, the little socket with the built in plug was cheaper than the socket that had to be wired. $2.09 vs $3.57.

Teri

Last edited:
tmb3fan: how resourceful! Do you use these under your waterers, or as general coop-heaters?

Off-topic question: How do y'all get your post so it displays the post you're commenting on?

Quote:
To respond to your message I clicked the blue word "quote" in the lower right corner of your messge.

Alternatively, you can select a portion of a message, copy, paste into the message you generate using the "reply" button. Look up left, above the smilies, you will see B I U Img Quote and Wordlink buttons. Bold, Italic, Underline. Img = image, and is good for posting a picture in photobucket or other service. Quote will make the box, like above. Not sure what word-link does, I think it makes the blue text you can click to go somewhere else. Those apply to text you have selected when you click the button. If you don't have anything selected the tags just sit there with nothing in between. I usually just type "(squarebracket)quote(squarebracket)" and "(squarebracket)/quote(squarebracket)" because I also post on fora with crummy interfaces and have gotten used to it.

Last edited:
Quote:
To respond to your message I clicked the blue word "quote" in the lower right corner of your messge.

Alternatively, you can select a portion of a message, copy, paste into the message you generate using the "reply" button. Look up left, above the smilies, you will see B I U Img Quote and Wordlink buttons. Bold, Italic, Underline. Img = image, and is good for posting a picture in photobucket or other service. Quote will make the box, like above. Not sure what word-link does, I think it makes the blue text you can click to go somewhere else. Those apply to text you have selected when you click the button. If you don't have anything selected the tags just sit there with nothing in between. I usually just type "(squarebracket)quote(squarebracket)" and "(squarebracket)/quote(squarebracket)" because I also post on fora with crummy interfaces and have gotten used to it.

Word link is for when you have a website you want someone to see. If I want you to see the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy page on critical and threatened breeds, I'd copy the web address of the ALBC, highlight the name of the ALBC in my note, and click on 'Word-link'. Highlight where it says 'your link goes here' and paste your link. When you submit your post your link will appear in blue. Like this did.

(By the way, good page/site)

Last edited:
Quote:
I put them under the waterers like the original person of the post did. I just wanted everyone to know that they should look for those little plug sockets in the electrical section at Lowes, if they don't want to hard wire.

Thanks, all, for your replies to mY (off-topic) question -- I knew what the B - I - U, etc. were, but never thought of "Quote."

Also, thanks, tmb3fan -- the non-hard-wire option is a great one! I just wondered if you might be using them for general coop heat. Thanks again!

Quote:
My coops are mainly open air type, and the 2 that are closed in have significant ventilation. So the cookie tin heater would be useless for heating coops for me. You can see my coops on my BYC page. I have the open air coops turned with the closed sides facing the North right now, so they don't get the cold wind coming in on them.

i made my own just like the pictures indicate. works great. during coldest months like late jan and early feb i have to put two lights in the tin to stop my water from freezing. works great for plastic water containers too.

Back
Top Bottom