Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
well the bulb i was using was a 40 watt , and so i switched to a sixty watt but i didnt put the lid on it and it has warmed up so im not using it at the moment now , but im sure i will be again in a few days and we will see

This is the best! Gonna get the crumbs out of my tins and get the water up to temp for the kids. Woo Hoo great , inexpensive idea. Its about 11 degrees outside and an unfrozen waterer will be just the ticket!
smile.png
No more four trips a day with water to the coop!

Going to try make four of these this week since single digits are forecast for weekend. Got all the supplies and think I can make the four for $55. If I had collected used supplies could have done it much cheaper but didn't have time and all my stuff is in boxes because we are moving. Wish me luck!

Got the 4 made and they actually work. Never done anything like this before but was a success, now looking forward to getting them to the pens and see if they do their job come the very cold weekend coming up. Snow and ice predicted for this weekend and would be nice not to have to make several trips out in it to water 150 chickens in several different pens. Thanks Jody.

mine work great and we had some really cold weather around Christmas( -15) I also made one for our bunny and wired her dish to it so she cant spill... she loves it.

Wow, what a great idea. I was wondering what I was going to do this coming winter. It gets very cold here in the snow belt of CNY. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a wall heater for the roost area using this concept. I was thinking of getting a reptile - under tank mat heater, but thought the girls might peck at it too much. Maybe using a tin sign, or cookie sheet for the front portion, but not sure what to use for the back portion which would hold the light socket. I only have 4 girls, so this would be for a small coop 4x4 - 7ft tall.

Thanks for all of this wonderful information.

As for making heated roosts for birds, we use 1" PVC or steel tubing, run a heat tape thru it, then elbow the ends upwards about 6" and fill it with used motor oil, (used hydraulic fluid from tractors will work also), then just plug it in. They will remain on thier roosts most of the freezing temps. It is also a good way to localize thier waste area for easier removal and re-distributing into gardens or yard area by simply placing a pan of sorts or 1/2 of a 55 Gal. drum (sliced longways) under it.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom