Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for posting this. I am so going to make one of these!!

Quote:
celebrate.gif
We're going away for a few days & don't want my girls to go thirsty. So we are going to make a cookie tin waterer today. It doesn't get real cold here at night - mid 20's, but I am going to use the pipe insulation in the can & try a 25 watt chandelier bulb. This well be awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
We're going away for a few days & don't want my girls to go thirsty. So we are going to make a cookie tin waterer today. It doesn't get real cold here at night - mid 20's, but I am going to use the pipe insulation in the can & try a 25 watt chandelier bulb. This well be awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

Ivywoods you are really a creative writer. I read your post to my very handy husband & he nearly died laughing! Keep writing!:
ya.gif

Last edited:
I've added a thermocouple switch... basically it turns on below a certain temp (these switch on below 40 degrees) so the heater only operates when its needed. we've got a lot of nights right now that are in the 15-25 degree range, but the days are generally 45 and over, so we don't need it to run all the time. this is working really well... I think the switches were $17 each at the local hardware store, but we didn't shop for price and I'm guessing we might have gotten a better price had we put a little time in. anyway, less money on the electrical bill, and longer life on the lightbulb, so it's all good.

Great ideas! We've been getting colder and colder winters....so I guess it's time to go to the thrift store (as if I need a reason!) I love repurposing and recycling ideas! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Hey everyone, we made our cookie tin heater tonight. Thought I would share how we done ours. Took us 10 minutes. Going to buy a thermo cube Tuesday from tractor supply. Their site says they are $12.99. But the store I use, normally is cheaper than what the site says. Its going to be 27 degrees tonight. So great night to test it.

What we used:

10in Cookie Tin $1.00 (bought it at goodwill)
Candelabra Socket w/phenolic nut $3.98 (Lowes)
Lamp cord $0.00 (hubby had one)
40 watt bulb $3.95 (for a pack of 6 @ lowes)

We used this to make the hole
Chickencookietinheater3.jpg

Package the socket came in.
Chickencookietinheater5.jpg

Screwed the socket in. It is threaded and came with a nut to go on it.
Chickencookietinheater2.jpg

Attached the lamp cord: Soldered them together and heat shrunk the cords. Then wrapped it in black tape.
Chickencookietinheater7.jpg

Plugged it in. Yeah It works!!
Chickencookietinheater6.jpg

All done and ready to go
Chickencookietinheater4.jpg

Bulbs we are using
Chickencookietinheater.jpg

Thermo Cube
9319711a.jpg

Hope this has been helpful to someone!!

Back
Top Bottom