Cool crosses!?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi y’all, my chicks are only about 3 and 4 weeks old, but I was wondering what kind of cool crosses I could end up with and really cool patterns with the breeds I have. @Chickpalooza started a thread about her white barred chicken and I fell in love with the pattern! I have quite a few different breeds, so if I do decide to have a few barnyard mixes in my flock I will have a bit of variety. :)
All of the breeds I have are

Roosters-
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Bielefelder
BLRW (not for sure roo, but is suspicious)

Hens-
Bielefelder
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Partridge Plymouth Rock
Columbian Wyandotte
New Hampshire
Whiting True Blue
Welsummer
Speckled Sussex

Bantams (don’t know genders yet)-
BTW Japanese bantam
BB red Old English bantam
Silkie (white, splash and partridge)
Blue Cochin bantam
Sebright (gold and silver)
d’ Uccle (Millie fleur and golden neck)
And I have 2 polish with my bantam (gold and silver)

Hi y’all, my chicks are only about 3 and 4 weeks old, but I was wondering what kind of cool crosses I could end up with and really cool patterns with the breeds I have. @Chickpalooza started a thread about her white barred chicken and I fell in love with the pattern! I have quite a few different breeds, so if I do decide to have a few barnyard mixes in my flock I will have a bit of variety. :)

Roosters-
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Bielefelder

Hens-
Bielefelder
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Partridge Plymouth Rock
Columbian Wyandotte
New Hampshire
Whiting True Blue
Welsummer
Speckled Sussex

BTW Japanese bantam
Blue Cochin bantam
Can you try to elaborate on what you mean by really cool patterns? That could mean something entirely different depending on who you’re asking.

Can you try to elaborate on what you mean by really cool patterns? That could mean something entirely different depending on who you’re asking.
Well, I was thinking how to get more laced chicks out of my BLRW rooster while not having any laced hens and maybe barring or something cool like that over a different color. I’m just curious. I think both of those patterns are really pretty.

Well, I was thinking how to get more laced chicks out of my BLRW rooster while not having any laced hens and maybe barring or something cool like that over a different color. I’m just curious. I think both of those patterns are really pretty.
Crossing any of your hens to the BLRW could give you partially laced chicks. However, you may also not get any laced chicks in the first generation, so you may have to cross the offspring together or cross the offspring back to the BLRW.

All of the offspring of the bielefelder rooster and cuckoo marans rooster would be barred.

Polish and sebrights have a different sort of lacing than wyandottes, and you’re much more likely to get laced offspring from them. I’ve seen some really nice results from OEGB x sebright crosses and d’uccle x sebright crosses.
Sebright x d’uccle crosses: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/se’uccle-sebright-d’uccle-rooster.458938/.
Sebright x OEGB crosses:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/show-off-your-roosters.695081/post-18674713.

Roosters-
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Bielefelder

Hens-
Bielefelder
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Partridge Plymouth Rock
Columbian Wyandotte
New Hampshire
Whiting True Blue
Welsummer
Speckled Sussex

BTW Japanese bantam
Blue Cochin bantam
BLRW crosses are almost always interesting imo because besides lacing they also have the gene that turns black on chickens blue. So I think if you got a regular barred chicken crossed with that then there’s a 25% chance (I think, might wanna fact check that) that one will be blue barred. Idk I’m not the best at genetics.

BLRW crosses are almost always interesting imo because besides lacing they also have the gene that turns black on chickens blue. So I think if you got a regular barred chicken crossed with that then there’s a 25% chance (I think, might wanna fact check that) that one will be blue barred. Idk I’m not the best at genetics.
You’re correct.
BLRW x black barred hen (such as a cuckoo marans) - 50/50 unbarred blue and black female chicks, 50/50 barred blue and black male chicks
Black barred rooster x BLRW hen - all barred chicks of both sexes, 50/50 blue and black

also, I’d like to point out that you’ll never completely know what your going to get from a pairing. There are tons of factors in how a chick is going to look and I’d say the best course of action is to just hatch some out and see what you get. Worst case scenario, sell or butchering is an option.

Roosters-
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Bielefelder

Hens-
Bielefelder
Cuckoo Maran
EE
Partridge Plymouth Rock
Columbian Wyandotte
New Hampshire
Whiting True Blue
Welsummer
Speckled Sussex

BTW Japanese bantam
Blue Cochin bantam

I have a Bielefelder crossed with a Crested Cream Legbar. Very pretty penciled reddish coloring on a hen.

Back
Top Bottom