Cool fence for run

I love my kennel fence. It is 10x20. I have a hot wire 6 inches off the ground and 6 inches from the top all around the kennel. The top is covered with chicken wire to keep hawks out and as an added protection I have an apron of hardware cloth around the ground perimeter. The wood structure over the top is to cut back on rain and snow entering the run area, The best part about my kennel fence is it was my dads dog kennel from 1984. He gave it to me and was easy to set up and protect my birds perfectly.
33356_img_2030.jpg

33356_img_2029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
our set up has four dog kennels attached to a big coop. all are fortified with chicken wire all around four feet up and another kind of wire on top. in other words, it's a good start but you need to fix it up a bit. i put rocks around the edge too. i still worry even with a dog around guarding them. but shop around too, these kennels come cheaper. try to get used ones unless cost is not an issue. all of ours were used.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're getting smacked over considering this - I think that the board consensus is that kennel coops tend to perform beautifully when backed with hardware cloth, and a kazillion people use them. Since the company you're looking at (I've considered those too - I agree they look great) makes the expanded mesh panels that are more like security grates (like they use on gymnasium windows) and have a much smaller opening than a typical chain link, they should be even more suitable than normal chain link. You might even get away with not backing it with hardware cloth, depending on your main predators.

Whether or not normal chain link panels are expensive in Ontario, they're VERY expensive on the East Coast. There's no way you could pick up chain link kennel panels any cheaper than that website sells their expanded mesh. Since I have show dogs, I've priced every local solution for kennels over and over again; $200 for a 4x4 space is standard. Setting up a wood and wire fence is cheaper in materials but if you can't do it yourself you'll get KILLED in labor. No farms in your area = fence contractors that price for cute backyards, not livestock.

All in all, if you're going to buy panels and you want new/pretty, I think that site is a good bet if the shipping isn't hideous. If you can stand the look of chain link backed with hardware cloth - some neighborhoods can and some can't - try craigslist for used kennels instead.

I checked the graigslist and that's how I found that website. I'll keep on searching for more. They had a shed there for $950 8x12 and I wrote them an e-mail and turns out they closed that email account, but the post was still there. Got my hopes high but now found another website in PA that has sheds and to turn it into a chicken coop (interior plus 2 access doors) for only $300 extra. http://www.mysheds.net/quaker.asp.

Quote:
Looks great
smile.png
I also have 10x10 6' fence now, knock on wood, protects them just fine but, my husband's friends used the kennel and now it's in bad shape but still protects them.

Looks awesome..I love the look, the ease.. Thank u so much for sharing that.. Much hugs to u, I have been looking at kennels for the past 3 days.. And woozier.. You rock

Yes, one can add more panels, and enlarge ..divide it up

Here's my question though.. The pins make me nervous, what other way could we stabilize this even more so raccoons can't just pop those pins out?

I too want to order this and connect it to my coop another byc..member is building me...my coop is going to be on wheels so love the idea of only really needing 3 sides and taking down when moving my coop

My goal is to lock them in the coop every evening but have a nice area for them to hang out in during the day..
With the canopy top on, wouldn't that also prevent hawks from diving in during the day?

Quote:
The manufacturers of the plastic panels provide specific instructions about how to properly install the panels. You can find these instructions by googling the name of the product (sometimes the home improvement store where you get your panels will also have an instruction sheet, too).

I remember with the panels I used I had to use their special closure strips and special screws with washers, build a certain minimum slope, have certain rafter and purlin maximum spacing, etc.

Quote:
Glad to be any help. Do you have another fence you can use plastic trips to tie them together or you can use this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 that they use for tents to hold them down. I don't know where your going to put it, but I thought these might help you. If you have that canvas on top, I think it won't let hawks get it. It's a thick cloth.

Last edited:
Well I love it, although a bit pricey. I like how easy it is to set up or take down and move. I bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom