Cool looking breeds that AREN'T setters

Eric R

Songster
6 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Magnolia, TX
I have too many broody hens and want to swap them for nonsetters but don't necessarily like the plain looking breeds. So far I know polish, sebrights, double laced barnevelder and Hamburgs are on my list. Any others?

I have too many broody hens and want to swap them for nonsetters but don't necessarily like the plain looking breeds. So far I know polish, sebrights, double laced barnevelder and Hamburgs are on my list. Any others?
I have a Sebright who goes broody every month during warm weather.

Yeah. I had wanted 1 of my hens to go broody for some hatching eggs I bought. Instead 6 of them went broody. Not cool.

All the breeds you mentioned will go broody except perhaps Hamburgs. Cool looking birds go broody more often.

I think it's an individual rather than a breed thing; I have supposedly non-setting breeds but one of each of 3 different such breeds has gone broody anyway (while the other one(s) of same breeds haven't, yet...)

Several have mentioned Speckled Sussex. I also have one, 3 years old, has never gone broody, and is an excellent layer. I love this breed!

Our Barred Rocks, silver laced Wyandotte’s, and Easter eggers have never gone broody. We have several of each. EE come in many colors/patterns.

Back
Top Bottom