Coolest thing you will read in a while. (At least I think so!)

theredroosta

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Before reading please note I live in Phoenix, Arizona and these days the temperature goes above 100 almost every day.

Now that you know this fact, carry on
smile.png

Okay so today, well actually just now, I came across a random egg laying on the ground. There was no nest, no feathers, no nest material, nothing. I took the egg in after smelling it, its common practice for me to candle and smell random eggs before sticking em in the fridge. When candling I found an internally pipped chick! It was moving and everything! I fired up the bator and put him in as fast as I could. I remember an incident when I had an abandoned egg that had 5 days left to hatch and the days heat carried him through incubation. I didn't have an incubator at the time, so I left it for dead. That chick hatched and grew up. I firmly believe that this egg was laid and incubated by the sun all the way through. The reason I believe this is because it was in the middle of nowhere, it was alone, and there was no sign of a nest at all. It looks to me a guinea fowl egg. I will update this thread as he/she progresses and hatches
smile.png
. The things that worry me are bacteria, no humidity, and over heating. I hope he/she makes it out alive.

Any thoughts? :O

I read online somewhere where a lady said that her grandmother, who lived in the south, used to incubate eggs on the porch during the summer when it was 100 degrees or more, all she did was turn them. Got like an 80% hatch rate if I remember correctly.
hu.gif

I believe it - temps here in S. Louisiana are like 96-101 and humidity is 70%+. Miserable for us but I had definitely wondered more than once if I should bother building an incubator at all, lol.

Quote:
Hi! How'd you miss that 'random egg' laying in the chicken yard for 18+ days?
I'd bet there is/was a guinea nest (if it is a guin egg) and it was just kicked/rolled out of the nest, or a similar situation.
I hope it hatches and is healthy.
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
Hi! How'd you miss that 'random egg' laying in the chicken yard for 18+ days?
I'd bet there is/was a guinea nest (if it is a guin egg) and it was just kicked/rolled out of the nest, or a similar situation.
I hope it hatches and is healthy.
smile.png

Lisa

I have quite a large area, 2 acres approximately, where all the birds can roam free. And my guineas are out all day long. I find her eggs all over the place, she doesn't lay them in anywhere particular, I happened to stumble upon this one before it hatched and was snatched up by a hungry bird or the ants got it. However I think I will look around the area for a guinea nest, to be sure. In any case, I'm lucky to have found it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom