Cooling measures

carladababe

Songster
9 Years
Nov 25, 2010
Dixon, Missouri
We in Missouri are going through a heat spell, 90's and humid. I have the girls out in the chicken tractor which is partially covered with tarp for shade but open enough for breeze. They have their water and crumbles, they also enjoy watermelon and tomatoes. The coop's temperature was 100 degrees! I didn't put them back into the run until 7:00 this evening and left the entrance to the coop open for better ventilation. I tried a mister to help cool the air, but they just shook their heads and moved away from it. I even set up a fan in front of the tractor for better air movement. I know, me thinks I'm not well. Does anybody use cooling measures when it's hot, beyond fresh water and shade?
frow.gif

what age are they? how many?

I think, #1, your concern is what will save the day.
there is only one other thing you might do. you can always put a big bowl of ice in front of a fan for them (on the outside).
but as long as you are that attentive to them, they should do fine.

I have 11 thirteen week old pullets, all healthy, interested in everything. I really enjoy my chickens and can hardly wait until we get eggs. Like the rest of my animals I care that they don't suffer from the elements. I'll try the ice in front of the fan idea. What I think I need actually is a big barn.
wee.gif

and that first egg is exciting! and then every day, its presents!

The impact that chickens have had on me is surprising. I was after clean, free range eggs and what I got was 5 girlfriends!

Can you free range them?

I am actually starting to really worry about this. I thought I had done my research, but it's so cold here until June that I did not consider the heat. We are going to have our first 90 degree day on Monday and we don't have a run built yet. The little ones are still in the coop. They have space and ventilation, but it won't be enough to protect them. I am definitely going to try ice water. I am also going to see about getting something to make them a small pond out of. None of them are little enough to drown in a few inches of water. At least not without extreme circumstances. I am also going to put up a mister. I was thinking of running it so that it mists on the run and on the patio so the kids can sit under it too. I can toss them in chilled fruit, but that is a very expensive solution.

Do you have any shade where you can move the tractor too? I have sprinklers in my chicken yards and my birds love to go and run around under the sprinklers and scratch in the damp soil. We have been in the 90's too.

You could provide shade with wet burlap or a wet towel/sheet and a fan to go past it or just let the breeze go thru it if it is breezy. This is a low tech evaporative cooler (like your misting system) and what the old timers would use instead of A/C in here in AZ.

It only works when the dewpoint is below 55 degrees, I think (otherwise is is too humid to allow the evaporation to cool anything). Don't know if it will work with your humidity.

Back
Top Bottom