Cooling my chicks off?

It's been in the 90's here in Seattle (hot for us!) and our chickens are panting like crazy. We've been doing the ice cubes in the water dish trick as well as frozen treats--I gave them a scrambled egg that had been in the freezer for a little bit. Another trick I used was wetting a light dish towel with cold water and wrapping it around each chicken as she sat on my lap--it seemed to help a little. A farm vet was out at our house today and said not to worry about the panting, etc. and that chickens like the heat (?).

I have 5 week old chicks. I have been blocking out the direct sun that hits the windows using a wet sheet. That way the air still enters but it seems to be cooler. I also open the doors that are not in the direct sun. I have a fan to move the air. And lastly, I put 2 large freezer packs (enclosed in freezer ziplock bags, covered by a towel) on the floor. They like to lay on the packs as long as there's a towel on top.

It stays 10+ degrees cooler in my coop which is amazing since there are no trees to provide shade!

I do ice in the water (frozen soda bottles) and alot of shade. If I really feel they will suffer, I keep them in the pen and wet them all down with a hose, then let them out. This really does help alot, but I hope they never make the connection that it's me with the hose.

Mid to high nineties here in Oregon which is hot for us.
mpr.gif
My girls have a roof over their entire sand run so I have been misting the sand which cools their feet nicely as our heat is dry. Ice cubes in the water, frozen corn and tomatoes and I even tossed ice cubes in their run which they pecked a bit then laid near them. I misted large towels hung over one side (made sure not to block any breeze at chicken height) which lowered the temp a few degrees. I put a fan on low on the other end of the run with a frozen water bottle in front of it to cool that area as well. So far they are fine. I saw only one pullet hold her wings slightly away from her body but no one was panting. Fortunately the heat breaks tomorrow.

I have tried the blocks of ice, mine dont like it either! I have spray some of the sand/dirt in their coop and they will go lay in it. We finally have a break in the heat today! It is only 80 and rain is on its way!!! Im sure you will get some too!

Back
Top Bottom