Cooling of the birds

Any diy hacks I can make to help keep the birds cool on the hot days. They have plenty of water and shade but I want to help cool them off better. It's been reaching 95° just this week. I'm in Idaho.
I don't know how old your are..but I keep cucumbers from garden in refrigerator that I finally chop up and give to mine in a pile ...I also have put down flat type bowl of water with ice cubes floating around in it.

I use ice cube trays, I put canned veggies in it or cut up fruit. I freeze it will water. When frozen i take them out of the freezer and throw them in the run. They will pick at them and eat the fruit and veggies.

When the temps get really high, I freeze large bottle of water and put them in the coop, still sealed. My girls will bicker over who gets the "prime spot" next to a fresh jug! When the ice thaws, I use the water for the garden and toss the jug in the recycling. That way, I don't contaminate the "real food" in my freezer. Between milk jugs, apple juice and the occasional 2-liter soda, we've been able to keep up a steady stream, so far. I did make the mistake of trying freezer bags, last summer ... what a mess! Who knew that chickens like to play with bags of water?

Back
Top Bottom