Cooling off my birds on hot days.

May 16, 2020
It's been very hot recently in Oregon. The sun is beating down relentlessly, and it's very difficult to keep ourselves and our dog cool, let alone our chickens. If we had air conditioning, we might have considered bringing the chickens into the garage temporarily while this heat wave passes. It's been hovering between 87-95 for the last few days, and the chickens are starting to feel the effects.
We're especially worried about our oddball, Valentina, who has black feathers- as opposed to our Novogens who have brownish/reddish feathers.

Regardless of their colors, they're all clearly feeling the heat. They 'pant' with their beaks open every now and then, and they're less active. They lay away from each other and space out in the shade, and only get up for a bit of food or water.

We decided to purchase a second waterer, so that they can have both electrolyte and fresh water. We keep both as cold as possible and replace them through the day.

They're still active- they run around chasing termites (our coop came infested with the buggers but the chickens have basically eliminated that problem)
They still come when called and they poke their heads out of the run to mess with my father's ring (their favorite passtime)
And they still run around to play with each other.

But they're clearly feeling the heat.

Do any of the more experienced chicken farmers have some tips for surviving our first summer with the chickens? We haven't been able to find good information beyond "give them cold water, feed them cucumbers (we did and they loved them), give them some frozen snacks and let them lay in the shade".
All help is appreciated! Thank you

I live in South Carolina, and we definitely feel the heat as well! As long as the chickens have shade and cool water, they should be fine. Panting is normal in the heat (I have austrolorps, and they pant all the time.), and it's normal for them to want to stay in the shade. You seem to be doing a great job taking care of them! Keep it up! :D

I am in FL & we've been in mid-upper 90s with feel like in the 100s & only "cools" down to 80 at night. Mine pant all the time. They free range and I have waterers at several locations. I keep water bottles in the freezer & place in the gallon waterers. I just rotate the same bottles. The quart waterers I add ice 2-3 times a day. I recently have been taking their crumbles added water and am keeping a bag of wet feed in the fridge & they are really liking it. Cold, juicy fruit & veg is good too. If you can hose down an area with shade they will like the cooled ground. Also Save-A-Chick once a week duringe extreme heat is good insurance!!

I run several large fans and an exhaust fan system that turns over the air in the coop once a minute. This has been the best at keeping the coop air cooler and smelling better. The guy next door (850’ away) says since the fans were installed he can smell the coop. Guess he shouldn’t have built a 4000 sq ft house next door to a farm.
It’s been in the mid 90s here in southeast Tennnessee and even though I’m at 1800 feet above sea level (the city below is at 700) I still have a lot of heat.
I put a pedestal fan blowing air out the double coop door and the girls take turns standing in it.
I also have 18 New Hampshire Reds that are 10 days old in the coop and inside my chick growing system. They will transfer to their own coop and run when they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom