cooling off your chickens

Pics

sayccrn

Songster
Jun 14, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My Coop
My Coop
It's very hot in GA today, the only one that seems to mind it is my brown leghorn. They have a tarp cover pvc tractor wit the ends open in the direction of the wind. every hour i add ice to their water, I put a pan of shallow water with in it for her, I even made a berry smoothie. the leghorn just walked through the smoothie and no one is really taking advantage of anything but the water. I do not have shade and I think I need to get a fan. what fan setups do you all have? Is there a fan you really like and works well? I was maybe wanting one with a light too, and a clip for their coop. What set ups and what do you all do to get them to enjoy their treats> So far, I think my chickens are from another planet, they don't even like lettuce!

Hi there. More shade, if you don't have it make it; try a puddle of water, toss some ice in it or cut down a kiddie pool and make a puddle in that. Wading in cool water will help a lot. Cool, moist dirt to bathe in is nice too.

For treats try some watermelon and cucumbers. These have extra water in them. Also, add a packet of Save A Chick to a gallon of water, but make sure they also have plain water available. You can also wet their feed.

I might be considered certifiable but I brought mine in tonight. It’s so hot outside and it’s 1am- still showing 85 (in MI) so you know it’s hotter in the little hen house. Granted I only have three (a BO and 2 Australorp) but when I peeked in at them and they’re open mouth breathing, I figured it’s time to bring ‘em in! I just hope my husband doesn’t wake early and try to take a shower tomorrow morning- he’ll be in for a surprise as they’re in our walk in shower... ;) lol!

I like to throw an ear of corn in the freezer. My girls love it, they peck it a few times as soon as i give it to them, then about 5 mins later when it has softened just enough they destroy it. They live watermelon as well.
I haven't tried watermelon yet. But I have corn, and they look at it like it's monster. I also heard corn is not good when it's hot, that it increases their temp? Not sure, just saying what I read somewhere.

I ended up putting an ez-up over the run to provide shade. I also added a box fan at ground level that blows across the floor of the run and a pole fan that blows into the coop when it's extremely hot outside. I've also set frozen bottles of water in the ground near the box fan and some of the girls go lay next to them to stay cool. Others like to stand on ice cubes to cool their feet, which helps cool their bodies. They also get grapes cut in half and frozen in ice cube trays filled with water. This give them something to do while it also cools them off when they eat the ice and grapes. Watermelon and frozen chopped grapes are always a hit with my girls too.

Here in TX it gets quite hot. I have an 8’x8’ area of the run that is covered and allows for shade, there is also a mesquite tree and an old coop that they huddle under for shade inside their run (a 40’x40’ fenced in area). But the coolest addition is the pvc misting system my husband installed. It’s mounted about 7’ up, around the shaded area and is on a timer so everyday it turns on and gives them 4 hours of cooling mist during the hottest hours of the day. The chickens love it.

Back
Top Bottom