cooling off your chickens

Wetting their food isn't a treat...😉 She asked about feeding frozen watermelon every hour to very young chickens.
I feed them fermented and it is cold from the frig in the morning. It also gets wet with the mist throughout the day. They have decided they now like cucumbers too, so I freeze spears fro them, they seem to like that better than watermelon!

Mine are like that too..they hate the sprinkler, but I run it so it catches the edge of the coop, so they get a cooling off from the mist. Seems to work. Tomorrow will be another hot day here. Heat index of 105. Makes me wanna bring my girls in the house..lol
I have been doing this too, as I cool the tarp, I do it by the fan, so it mists them, they seem to enjoy it and I notice now the older chicks will go to the mist now.

I'm in the southern most part of Texas. It gets pretty darn hot here. Thankfully my coop, run and play yard for the chickens is pretty much in the shade most of the day. Still it gets hot. I built a water system that is a PVC pipe attached to a large cooler that keeps their water cool on hot days. I can add ice to it to cool it as well. I also added a mister system that I got off Amazon. I attached the mister nozzles to a pvc pipe and extended it over the corner of their play yard so they can go in and out of it as they want. They have a perch under it too so they can hang out and cool. So far, so good. This is the mister system I got....I also attached it to a timer but I usually go turn it on manually

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G33MVJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is awesome, maybe I can do something like that once I get me enclosure. Thanks for the tips.

Back
Top Bottom