I need help

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
Guys, it's so hot in Texas right now. So far we are at 117. My poor chickens are struggling. They have deep shade, a pool filled with fresh ice water, 2 fans (one is the makeshift ac cooler). I'm going out there every hour having to put cool water under their wings. They're panting heavily and wings are open away from the body. I'm seriously about to fill my house up with 40 chickens 😭 I don't know what else to do to help them. Any ideas?? We are going to be well over 100 for the next week or so.

Guys, it's so hot in Texas right now. So far we are at 117. My poor chickens are struggling. They have deep shade, a pool filled with fresh ice water, 2 fans (one is the makeshift ac cooler). I'm going out there every hour having to put cool water under their wings. They're panting heavily and wings are open away from the body. I'm seriously about to fill my house up with 40 chickens 😭 I don't know what else to do to help them. Any ideas?? We are going to be well over 100 for the next week or so.
As long as they’re not in direct sun, they will be fine. No need to take them indoors, they’ll be perfectly fine outside.

They're not in direct sunlight. Some are hanging out in the coop and others in the covered portion of the run.
That’s good then.
I'm just worried with how hard they're panting.
I know it can be worrying, but they will be ok. Yes, they are pretty hot, especially since they have all those feathers, but they won’t die or anything like that.

What is the humidity like? If it's not humid, you could put in a mister in front of the fan. I like to use the ones like this.

Unknown.png

I second the use of a mister. They will work at that temp even if you think the humidity is high due to the characteristics of relative humidity.
They really don't consume much water. Especially if it's just a few hours a day in the hottest part. Kits are readily available from hardware stores.

Back
Top Bottom