Broody Cochin Going on 2 Months

Virgie87

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2022
My mottled Cochin is impossible to break. I’ve tried removing her, ice cubes, frozen water bottles, ice baths and chicken jail and nothing is working and I’m getting extremely worried. She’s currently back in jail with a fan on her but I’m at my wits end and I’m worried that she’s slowly starving herself to death. I’ve even had a friend of mine tell me that trying to break her broodiness is “cruel and inhumane” which really didn’t help, and thinks I should rehome her so she can “just do natural chicken things”. Any tips or suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

she wont starve don't worry. that's an old myth. its also not inhumane. is that 2 months of her just sitting or 2 months of her trying and you trying to break it. if the second option you could let her try with a fake egg and when it doesn't hatch she may break the broody herself.

she wont starve don't worry. that's an old myth. its also not inhumane. is that 2 months of her just sitting or 2 months of her trying and you trying to break it. if the second option you could let her try with a fake egg and when it doesn't hatch she may break the broody herself.
I have no roosters, so it’s been 2 months of me trying to break her to no avail. She runs right back to the nesting box every time and also bullies the other chickens out of the nesting boxes.

I have no roosters, so it’s been 2 months of me trying to break her to no avail. She runs right back to the nesting box every time and also bullies the other chickens out of the nesting boxes.
try letting her "hatch" a fake egg. and don't mess with her. maybe her internal broody clock will stop when the egg doesn't hatch. aside from that i'm at a loss sorry

Back
Top Bottom