Broody or Bullied?

Yea, sounds like she's hiding out from the mean girls, unfortunately. There is a good thread around here on adding hiding spots & clutter. Maybe @rosemarythyme has that? :)
The big ol clutter thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

I also agree she sounds like she's hiding from bullies and not broody, so adding hiding spots as well as multiple feeders/waterers spread out, using the clutter to break line of sight, can help.

I have the same with one of mine, when she is eating and another one comes towards the feeder the bullied one moves out of the way. But mine never slept in the nesting box. I have 2 feeders/ water in the run and 1 of each in the coop so she has the chance to eat. Mine also stopped laying due to the stress i think. I hope you can figure it out, I no it's pain in the butt trying to keep them safe.

I've had many broodies, and the ticking and pancaking are true for very few of mine. When taken off the nest a broody will take a quick break to eat and drink and make a huge stinky poo. It won't take long before she is back on the nest even during the day. If the nest is blocked she will find another nest close to it.

@HenpeckedBabble how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here!
I’ll try to remember to get the dimensions and pictures. I know the run is 10x18. We had it built around a prefab coop. As others have mentioned, I need more hiding spaces. Everything in my run is within sight. I thought I liked it that way so I can see everything, but I guess that’s not always best for the flock.

I've had many broodies, and the ticking and pancaking are true for very few of mine. When taken off the nest a broody will take a quick break to eat and drink and make a huge stinky poo. It won't take long before she is back on the nest even during the day. If the nest is blocked she will find another nest close to it.
Thanks for posting! The following day she did just that, moved out, ate, drank, made a big stink, then tried to go right back in, but I already had it blocked. Both boxes. The past few days I’ve blocked the boxes around 4 or 5. She stay out and socialize more before they all go in for the night.

I’m not sure if she’s broody, but I’m glad she’s “kind” enough to make adjustments when I block the boxes. I know she’s the lowest in pecking order, but again, she know how to stay out of the way. I will create more hiding places. And, I guess she finds comfort in the nesting boxes. I panicked in the beginning and thought I might have to put her in “jail” to make her stop. We both just need a little tweaking. 😊

The big ol clutter thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

I also agree she sounds like she's hiding from bullies and not broody, so adding hiding spots as well as multiple feeders/waterers spread out, using the clutter to break line of sight, can help.
This is a great thread!!! I don’t think I’ll get to the “clutter” stage, but I get it. They need more hiding spaces, activity, and levels of entertainment. Thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom