Broody or Bullied?

HenpeckedBabble

Chirping
Jun 2, 2023
Atlanta, Georgia
I’ve read several post about bullied and broody chicks. Please pardon my repetition of this topic, I’m new to this. I have 6 pullets (3 BR & 2 BO) 31 weeks, all laying. They all came together from day 1 so they are use to each other. One of my BR sits in the nesting box for hours and slept in the box for 3 nights until I blocked it off the past 2 nights. The 1st night she pecked at me when I removed her. Last night, I went to remove her and she got up and walked out. I collected 4 eggs and closed off the 2 boxes, but later saw her laying in the bedding on the bottom of the coop. My confusion is that she’s also the one they pick on (bully). She has survived well and try to stay out of their way. Actually, she’s bigger than the other 2 Buffs. No blood or injuries. The past 2 nights that I blocked the nesting box, she slept on the roost with the other girls. But even when the coop open the next day she comes out for a few hours, then retreat back to one of the nesting boxes. Before I put her in broody jail, I want to make sure she’s not just hanging out to stay away from the “mean girls” and I need to provide more hiding spaces for her. I don’t think she’s sick. I’ve seen her eat, drink, and poop. I’m not sure if she’s still laying because egg production has decreased over the past few days. I think because she’s held up the boxes. Do you think she’s being broody or just hiding out from being bullied?

I’ve read several post about bullied and broody chicks. Please pardon my repetition of this topic, I’m new to this. I have 6 pullets (3 BR & 2 BO) 31 weeks, all laying. They all came together from day 1 so they are use to each other. One of my BR sits in the nesting box for hours and slept in the box for 3 nights until I blocked it off the past 2 nights. The 1st night she pecked at me when I removed her. Last night, I went to remove her and she got up and walked out. I collected 4 eggs and closed off the 2 boxes, but later saw her laying in the bedding on the bottom of the coop. My confusion is that she’s also the one they pick on (bully). She has survived well and try to stay out of their way. Actually, she’s bigger than the other 2 Buffs. No blood or injuries. The past 2 nights that I blocked the nesting box, she slept on the roost with the other girls. But even when the coop open the next day she comes out for a few hours, then retreat back to one of the nesting boxes. Before I put her in broody jail, I want to make sure she’s not just hanging out to stay away from the “mean girls” and I need to provide more hiding spaces for her. I don’t think she’s sick. I’ve seen her eat, drink, and poop. I’m not sure if she’s still laying because egg production has decreased over the past few days. I think because she’s held up the boxes. Do you think she’s being broody or just hiding out from being bullied?
It could be either one really. Does everyone bully her, or is it just one or two?

It could be either one really. Does everyone bully her, or is it just one or two?
Hello, Thanks for responding. All of them bully/peck at her. If she’s eating and one of them feel like they want to eat too, they peck at her. If she’s drinking water, the same. It doesn’t matter which feeder or waterer. They bother her if they feel like it.

Is she screeching, fluffed up & clucking like a ticking time bomb when you chase her out of the nest? Broodys are kind of hard to miss, especially if it's been days. They are completely insane, lol.

Do you have multiple feeders, waterers & places for her to hide or get away from the others? If space is tight it makes it hard for them to get away so the nest box would be a logical place for her.

Is she screeching, fluffed up & clucking like a ticking time bomb when you chase her out of the nest? Broodys are kind of hard to miss, especially if it's been days. They are completely insane, lol.

Do you have multiple feeders, waterers & places for her to hide or get away from the others? If space is tight it makes it hard for them to get away so the nest box would be a logical place for her.
No, she doesn’t make a fuss when I approach her to get up. She just walks out in her own. I have multiple feeders and watering. I think you’ve answered my question. I need to provide her more hiding spaces. Mo rooster so I really didn’t want to jail her if I don’t have to. Although I don’t think she’s laying lately, my egg count is lower. I guess it could be the change in season and less daylight. Thanks!

No, she doesn’t make a fuss when I approach her to get up. She just walks out in her own. I have multiple feeders and watering. I think you’ve answered my question. I need to provide her more hiding spaces. Mo rooster so I really didn’t want to jail her if I don’t have to. Although I don’t think she’s laying lately, my egg count is lower. I guess it could be the change in season and less daylight. Thanks!
I agree she’s being bullied, poor thing.

Thanks for your response and quickly calming my concern!!
I hope she’s ok, I feel so bad for the bullied ones! If you can determine that it’s one particular hen that starts it and the rest follow suit you can put the aggressor in jail for a week or so away from the rest of the flock. That may help jostle the pecking order and stop the problem.

Back
Top Bottom