Day ten, young hen still not laying

All the messages are very helpful. I have one bird that is about 21 weeks that laid an egg that ws very thin and rubbery. Not in the nest either, probably under the roost. Anyway, I have given her more calcium the last few days. She does not act as if something is wrong. She is however, last in the pecking order. Her comb is very red. I got the three chicks in November. the other two are laying. Their eggs are blue. For some reason - they use one nest. I don't know how to teach them that they each have their own area. I hope this little runt chick starts laying or something might be wrong. She is skitish - the other two nearly jump in my arms. Any advice would be great.

All the messages are very helpful. I have one bird that is about 21 weeks that laid an egg that ws very thin and rubbery. Not in the nest either, probably under the roost. Anyway, I have given her more calcium the last few days. She does not act as if something is wrong.
At 21 weeks old I wouldn't give calcium if you've only gotten the one soft shelled egg. It's normal and expected to have some glitches with onset of laying.
For some reason - they use one nest. I don't know how to teach them that they each have their own area.
It doesn't work that way, they lay where they think they should lay. If that's the same nest, then that's where they lay. Some birds on the other hand are contrary and chose a box that isn't used by others.

All the messages are very helpful. I have one bird that is about 21 weeks that laid an egg that ws very thin and rubbery. Not in the nest either, probably under the roost. Anyway, I have given her more calcium the last few days. She does not act as if something is wrong. She is however, last in the pecking order. Her comb is very red. I got the three chicks in November. the other two are laying. Their eggs are blue. For some reason - they use one nest. I don't know how to teach them that they each have their own area. I hope this little runt chick starts laying or something might be wrong. She is skitish - the other two nearly jump in my arms. Any advice would be great.
Yeah, I would not worry about a 21 week old, she’ll get into her rhythm soon enough. And most of my girls insist on using the same nesting box-I think that’s really common. My EE has really become a very rare layer-she’ll lay two days that not lay for 20 or so. But she’s happy, she’s pooping and eating, so I’m not complaining.

Well, she became quite the bully and because my area is small - decided to rehome her. The other two that are laying seem fine. I have someone coming to see if they can help me with a run and do a refab on this Tractor Supply hen house my husband purchase. Way way to small. I am letting them out on my side yard but I have to supervise them. I just can't let them out loose because I have a large swimming pool they can fall into. I think my husband thought this chicken stuff was going to be just a phase for his wife....... We could have purchased a bigger and better pen. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom