cooling off your chickens

Pics
In in Arizona and we have misters running through the top of our run. Our chickens LOVE them and spend most of the day under them. You can buy a single one at Lowe’s for pretty cheap. They lower the temp in the whole run and they also keep the ground cooler for their feet. Mine are still teens though and not really “street smart” yet because they still spend a lot of time huddled together despite the heat. I hear they smarten up as they age! Maybe ours will figure out the wading pool at some point.

Not sure I could do the misters. The coop is not electrified/plumbing and It's over 100 yards from the house. But I do keep them in a portable tractor during the day, I got my fan, which helps so much. they've finally figured out their watermelon, and I place a little cup in their wading pool, so they either have to stretch their little necks out, which is funny to watch, or stand in it to drink the watermelon. My 'teens' are still cuddling in the heat too! lol

Heat is a big issue for me here in SoCal too.

I've mentioned before my chief strategies:
  • locating your chickens with the best shade possible
  • improving shade by extending shade cloth from your roof overhang
  • box fans for air circulation
  • water-intense fruits & veggies like watermelon, cucumber & berries; you can freeze them too
  • block ice to provide cooling; ice in their water as well
I've just figured out another point and that's planning. I am now printing out 2-week and, when called for, hourly temperature forecasts for my zip code. If I know what's coming at me I can accumulate ice cubes in bags in my freezers and I can anticipate in advance what days not to be away so I'm not responsive. I can also watch those hourly forecasts to know when to keep an eye on them and water down a portion of the run if necessary.

I also just discovered that an aluminum catering pan is an available and cheap container for my ice blocks. It works for my small flock. A few might be used for larger flocks and runs. It doesn't take up too much of their run space and it's low enough that they can drink the cool water from it or walk through it if they want to cool their feet and ankles.

Heat is a big issue for me here in SoCal too.

I've mentioned before my chief strategies:
  • locating your chickens with the best shade possible
  • improving shade by extending shade cloth from your roof overhang
  • box fans for air circulation
  • water-intense fruits & veggies like watermelon, cucumber & berries; you can freeze them too
  • block ice to provide cooling; ice in their water as well
I've just figured out another point and that's planning. I am now printing out 2-week and, when called for, hourly temperature forecasts for my zip code. If I know what's coming at me I can accumulate ice cubes in bags in my freezers and I can anticipate in advance what days not to be away so I'm not responsive. I can also watch those hourly forecasts to know when to keep an eye on them and water down a portion of the run if necessary.

I also just discovered that an aluminum catering pan is an available and cheap container for my ice blocks. It works for my small flock. A few might be used for larger flocks and runs. It doesn't take up too much of their run space and it's low enough that they can drink the cool water from it or walk through it if they want to cool their feet and ankles.
The weather thing definitely won't work for our weather. It literately changes from forcast to forecast. They never get it right til the forecast right before it actually happens. It's so nerve wracking! And as I stated before, I literately have no shade til about 4-430. Put I am planning on saving up for a omlet, 6x9 enclosure where I can put the tarp on and up 6 ft. and have more room for their fan and ice and everything.

If you have no shade you really want to provide some. Double layers of shade cloth extended out from the roof of the run can drop temps up to 20˚ for my chickens. Two sides of your enclosure may be enough to give them an area they can take shelter in.

Meanwhile, how accurate do the water forecasts have to be to give you a heads up about when to be prepared with your emergency strategies?

If you have no shade you really want to provide some. Double layers of shade cloth extended out from the roof of the run can drop temps up to 20˚ for my chickens. Two sides of your enclosure may be enough to give them an area they can take shelter in.

Meanwhile, how accurate do the water forecasts have to be to give you a heads up about when to be prepared with your emergency strategies?
they defintely cannot be in their coop. I have them in a hardware cloth/pvc tractor with a tarp with the sides up for ventilation and a fan blowing on them and watermelon and ice water changed every hour and frozen watermelon to drink. They are in a spot in the yard closest to the house so they will get the shade as soon as it's available. I was just out there and they are all laying down. No one is panting and their feathers are being ruffled by the fan. It's the best I can do until my fruit trees are big enough for ample shade. Or until I can get that enclosure. Once I get the enclosure, I will have to put a shade cloth/tarp over the side that gets the sun all day.

I tried the kiddie pool, but my chickens would never wade in it. Tried the sun shade, but the wind would just tear it apart. Tried the ice, that did work, but it melted in a few hours. So, we just have over 100’ of hose running to the mister and the chickens love it. Being on a timer I don’t have to worry about being home or anything like that either.

I tried the kiddie pool, but my chickens would never wade in it. Tried the sun shade, but the wind would just tear it apart. Tried the ice, that did work, but it melted in a few hours. So, we just have over 100’ of hose running to the mister and the chickens love it. Being on a timer I don’t have to worry about being home or anything like that either.
once i get my enclosure, I will have to look into one then. Thankfully, I have found uses for the extra pallet wood, I made the coop out of, and they are good tarp weights to hold it down to the tractor. even then, it sometimes blows off. but not having to go out and help them every hour, will sure free up some time for me!

I have tried that too, I even crawled in the tractor to try and get them to understand. nothing works, the tarp is fully blocking sun, it was just really hot for the leghorn, humiture of 99. the tarp covers about 2/3rds of it when unfolded all the way. I even lift up the ends to give them a nice crossbreeze. I have no shade til the late afternoon.View attachment 2219744
Leghorns are supposed to be heat hardy...

Back
Top Bottom