Coon tested, mother approved

DazeGoneBy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
We had our coop finished and the girls in about 3 days before I saw a coon track on the fence. It didn't get in.

101301_trax.jpg

Now about a month later, we noticed coon tracks ALL OVER the fence, run, and coop. We can see two distinct sizes, so we figure it is Momma and at least one baby. They didn't get in.

We don't lock the girls in the coop, and they don't go in their on their own...in fact I almost think we wasted our time building a coop...we could have just built the run. For us, granted, we have a small 4' x 10' run, so it was well worth the money to use hardware cloth (1/2 in.) for the peace of mind. It's clear the worst predator in our area has paid us several visits, and couldn't get in.

Thanks to all the folks here who educated us on proper predator-proofing.

We had a live trap sitting by the fence since day one. Last night we set it with peanut butter and marshmallows. Nothing yet, but I feel like we should try to trap it rather than just keep being thankful each night that the run is still intact.

Last edited:
Remember they are learning each time they come. Caught two coyotes today scoping out my chickens on pasture today and tonight there is only 1 coyote alive of the 2

Quote:
Oh my, this sent a shiver down my back. That is EXACTLY what I was afraid of...

Part of me wasn't want to use something so smelly like fish or cat food, because I really don't want to *bring it in from afar*. If it figured it couldn't get in, I was hoping it would move on and I would live and let live. But, I don't want to be so complacent that I give a coon the chance to find a way in and kill my helpless girls.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom