Coons -- big discussion in the family

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
In 3 nights we got 2 coons. Big discussion is what do to with them. We killed both of these.
1. Do we just kill'm and toss 'em
2. Do we skin em and keep/sell the belts
3. Do we stop being so inhumane and take the varmints up the road and let them go

Do any of you do #2? and if so - what are you doing with the skins? What are the dangerous of handling a dead coon and rabies. I'm not aware of any rabies epidemic around here. No discussions going on about rabid coons.

How many might I expect to get? 1 a night? If they are territorial, then why so many in 1 area? Both coons were adult size. Just looking ahead.... We live within the outer boundaries of the city limits and have woods all around. And if we put cat food out every night are we just luring them in from all around?

Your thoughts....???? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm sure there are trappers on this forum somewhere that could advise you on trapping and skinning. My thought on that would be that this time of year their fur isn't very good, but again, I'm not the guy to ask.
Killing them is a permanent solution - at least for the ones you get - others will move into the territory after a time. Same as if you relocate them. I've also heard on this forum that it should be at least 5 miles or they will come right back.
I've had whole families of coons and they figure out live traps pretty quick and learn how to spring them after one or two get caught.
On a side note, I don't think there is anything inhumane about disposing of a predator that is threatening your chickens. Just my thoughts, don't have to be those of anyone else. Good luck with your probhlem!

I used to kill them and toss them. Now I kill them and bury them next to young trees that I planted to give them some extra fertilizer.

I have read that some people will skin them and cook them and feed them to their chickens (extra protien) or they eat eat them.

Last time I checked price for raccoon furs is not that much. But I did see Steven Tyer from AeroSmith wear a coon tail in his hair the other day. If that fashion tread takes off like feather hair extensions coon tails might be worth something.
wink.png

# 3 is not an option.

I would not put food out every night. I have trapped about 4 raccoons every year since I have had chickens. It comes having chickens. When you buy chicks they should also give you a live trap and a .22 rifle.

Last edited:
Letting them go is inhumane. Raccoons are territorial and if you release one into another's territory they will fight until one leaves/is killed. Better if you kill them yourself, without the torture of a battle.

Id shoot them cause you have to take them 20 miles away other wise they will come back but i wouldnt skin it thats nasty i would just bury it.

the pelts are blue this time of the year blue = unprime nobody will buy unprime pelts the fur is much harder to tan when the pelt is blue. I have sales for the meat here it is the wrong time of the year to sell meat too it is much too hot for safe handling, mostly this time of the year I have several bait piles when I get done cleaning crabs or fish or snappers I load up the bait piles ,it does 2 things it keeps preds away from my birds they are eating at the bait piles instead of my birds pens 2 it lets me know where the preds are opening day of trapping season
smile.png
keep trapping most coon are in groups of 4-6 this time of the year there could be 2-3 of these groups where you are BTW I got $11 pelt last season and 5-10 for each carcass

Back
Top Bottom