Coons In The Coop?

doublejfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Modoc, SC
Went out about 4 this morning OTW to work andchecked on the chickens. I spooked two coons and watched them leaving the coop. All birds accounted for and the didn't harm the eggs. Could they bejust eating the feed??? Or did I catch them before they could do any damage? Will they harm a chicken or are they just after eggs. I don't think they are predators.

Raccoons are predators...you may have spooked them before they found your chickens. Find where they got in and button it up tight. Now they know where the food is and will keep coming back...

They would eventually gotten to your chickens. I accidently locked one up in the coop with my chickens a couple of weeks ago. Before I realized it was in there, it ate one of my Rhode Island Reds. I agree with the above post,..find the point of entry and close it up tight. They know where your babies are now and will be back. Best of luck to you!!

Definitely predators. They usually will bite through the head and eat head/neck/shoulders and leave the rest and come back tne next night and do it again. I have a hen blind in one eye that survived an attack, most of them don't.

They many start with the feet,but will go for the chickens eventually. Consider putting a live trap out 24/7. I just caught my 5th or 6th today.

You got really really lucky... I've had coons once dig under a tractor and kill young birds by pulling them through a hole from the tractor to the hutch bit by bit. Then had coons learn how to open a latched coop, a flip gate type latch, and kill over a dozen birds and drag them off. They are viscous killers.

Ok. So. I have a trap and used to be an avid coon hunter. My next question is what should I do with the caught coons? Just shoot um or what? Sardines work wonders for catchin coons, but ii turn them aloose down the road will they just come right back. I hate to kill something im not gonna eat.

Dispatch them if you catch them. In most places it is illegal to relocate due to moving diseases and pests around. Plus, it is often not good for the animal t be dumped into the midst of another animals territory, and nobody wants your problem animal in their yard. I think some have eaten coon or you could always cook it up for the birds.

Yeah coon tastes great, but I know my city girl wife wouldn't eat it. I love her to death but this country living thing freaks her out. She is still kinda scared of the dark out here where there aren't any street lamps. How did she get hooked up with a country boy like me?

Back
Top Bottom