Coons in the Yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AnzHil, Nov 9, 2008.

1. AnzHil

AnzHil New Egg

Nov 9, 2008
    We had a Coon? "take out" three of four chickens over the weekend.

What should we do with the one left?

Can we get others to put with it? or should we give it to another flock and start all over? and being it is so late in the year can we introduce a new start with other hens?

They were laying fine...

Hil

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry.

I'd go onto Craig's list and type in chicken... you should be able to find your hen some room mates.

BUT, FIRST I would find a way to get rid of the coons. Traps, pellet gun, whatever.

AND, I would keep the hens in a predator proof coop AND run.

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Try to get rid of the predator first, and then fortify your coop and get some new birds. If it's a coon, it will be back, and it will likely find a way to get into your coop, so get rid of the varmint first, and after that, get some new birds.

4. Racooms are especially a problem. Once they have you on thier nightly route, they will visit you most every night unless the weather is so bad they find other food. A coom got my fan tailed pigeons right off my front porch that was a good number of steps off the ground. They were in s parrot cage and always on a roost. i have never seen a pair again around here. They were so peaceful and innocent.

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    A friend and backyard neighbor lost her chickens to raccoons and was certain that my flock would be gone just like hers. But it turns out she did not have a secure coop for them at night. Our Delightful Dozen are snug and safe in their coop with a fenced run, but during the day they are out in the yard digging, scratching and hunting for truffles - I know we don't have truffles here - but the DD act like that is what the grubs are! LOL

So what I mean is, make the coop into a fortress so you don't lose any more when you get companions for your one remaining hen.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you live out in the country I would shoot the coon if I was you. I agree with what the others said. If you don't dispatch the coon he'll keep coming back. Good luck

7. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You must eradicate the coon.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, fortify, fortify, fortify the coop. Then rid of the coon if you feel like it and want that tiny bit of extra safety margin. More will probably come fill the spot, but what ever you do, don't trap and relocate, as that's a good way to spread disease and give others your problem.

9. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Relocate it to your freezer, cook it like a turkey. You fed it, let it feed you.....[​IMG]

10. chickenpicken

chickenpicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Let a coonhunter hunt them. You would be shocked at how many farmers wont allow you to run your dogs if you ask them but then complain about the coons.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by