coop advice

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have 6 birds, three adults and 3, 9 week old chicks. My indoor coop space is 5 x 9 and my outside run is 21 x 10. (see pics)
I was down to one hen (Barred Rock) so I bought two 12 week old Cochins about 6 months ago. The lowest in the pecking order went broody and I let her raise three chicks. Now, I have two groups, Mom and chicks and the other two. In the outdoor coop, my Barred Rocks pecks everyone except hen #2. No blood or feather loss, but persistent and the low rung cochin does not run away, just squats down.
The Barred Rock has not moved form her original coop to the coop with everyone else yet as she has killed chicks before. questions: 1. DO I have enough indoor room for everyone? 2. Do I need more clutter in the outdoor area? 3. How long till the chicks find their place in the order? 4. Should I worry that my Cochin won't run away? 5. Are the chicks old enough to hold there own?

Attachments

• coop and run.JPG
    coop and run.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • coop1.JPG
    coop1.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 5
  • coop2.JPG
    coop2.JPG
    571.4 KB · Views: 5
  • marble and mable.JPG
    marble and mable.JPG
    919 KB · Views: 4
  • maggie and chicks.JPG
    maggie and chicks.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
You have enough space indoors for all the birds, but if a bird is a bully they may be a bully regardless of the fact that you meet a suggested space guideline.

I would add more clutter to the outdoor area, even if just temporarily. How old are the chicks? How old were the chicks that were killed before by the bullying bird?

You seem to have plenty of space, though more clutter outside might help.

I *personally* would not keep a bully hen who makes the other chickens' lives a misery and a burden.

If you are sentimentally attached to her, you could try pinless peepers. I've heard of them but never used them.

You have enough space indoors for all the birds, but if a bird is a bully they may be a bully regardless of the fact that you meet a suggested space guideline.

I would add more clutter to the outdoor area, even if just temporarily. How old are the chicks? How old were the chicks that were killed before by the bullying bird?I
I went away for the weekend before my two new 6 week old chicks were fully integrated. When I returned it was reported that Marble killed one of them. She was fine with the other one until she also passed unexpectedly a year later. The current chicks are 9 weeks and they give her a wide berth. I am actually more concerned about my other Cochin that does not run away. However, there is no blood or feather loss. Maybe it is just normal pecking order and I need to toughen up. I am a social worker by trade and I really like everyone to just get along.

I am actually more concerned about my other Cochin that does not run away. However, there is no blood or feather loss. Maybe it is just normal pecking order and I need to toughen up. I am a social worker by trade and I really like everyone to just get along.
It sounds pretty normal as far as pecking order. As long as there continues to be no blood or other injuries I would be fine with it, as long as the Cochin can still eat and drink without too many issues, even if she has to wait a bit.

I am actually more concerned about my other Cochin that does not run away. However, there is no blood or feather loss. Maybe it is just normal pecking order and I need to toughen up. I am a social worker by trade and I really like everyone to just get along.

Do you have multiple feed and water stations set up so that a chicken at one can't see the chickens at the other?

Back
Top Bottom