Coop Almost Finished

My goal is to have no run at all.. But until they are of age I need something. I want to have them free range and lockup at night. The coop should be pretty secure..I built in between the trees if something wants to dig they will have a pretty tough time. the roots are nasty under the coop and i went down 2 ft with the concrete all around.. and if i have to i will concrete the floor.. but i will still stick with the sand bottom..My neighbor across the street lets his out all day no run no loss .. but he has 2 ducks and a couple guinnies too..

Last edited:
That is officially my FAVORITE coop EVER. It's ADORABLE!! Can you come build one for me now?
smile.png

Wow, that's awesome, looks like a palace but it a nice, woodsy way! You got some lucky chicks, especially seeing as you've put so much time into it and I know how that feels. It took us a good 3 months of every day after work until dark to get ours finished, but ours isnt as big as yours!

Very neat coop, looks like you have put in a lot of work. Enjoy the laughs and relaxation the birds will provide.

If you still need more ventilation, consider those fancy forced air heat floor vents with the lever that closes them off (the pretty brass scrolled ones available on Ebay) and plunge cut them in thru the walls. This would give you a usable accent to this beautiful coop.

There is no such thing as too much ventilation in the summer and your winters are not cold enough to really worry about. Remember it's ambient temp not windchill that matters. Also be sure that you do not develop a draft coming down onto the bird's roost. Using the vents combined with what you have designed in will let you control the air movement year around.

As to your use of chicken wire, I hope you are going to lock down at night because you'll eventually get found by the coons and they. along with the other predators, will be grateful for the chicken wire, because they won't have to chase the chickens very far to kill them. Sorry to be blunt but I would hate to hear about you coming out to a run full of feathers and carcasses.

Last edited:
I would be proud to see that coop in my yard! Your family will enjoy the "chicken channel" this summer, for sure! Take time to just sit and admire!

Back
Top Bottom