Coop and Pen Finally Done (almost) - Suggestions?

Now that is an awesome deal!!!! Going green baby.... reuse recycle rejoice!!!
lol.png

Thanks for all the input. keljonma, i do actually lock them at night. i just had them flipped over for the pics.

SSO202 - i see your picture, and think that could be done. The trim would look the best. Or, i do have some large metal things, like a big staple with pointy ends. Sorry, i don't know what they're called.

On the plexi-glass, i know Home Depot and Lowes sells the wavy panels. However, i couldn't find just flat panels. i thought i saw them once at a home depot in a lighting section, like the plastic that fits inside florescent ceiling light frames (does that make sense?). But they weren't very large. Any leads on good places to get something like 4' x 6' or 6' x 6' flat panels?

and, i hear you ChanceRider, it is nasty windy today and cold! i have this coop and run, plus two other coops and pens to get winterized. Just moved from SoCal, so this weather is a shock to my older birds.

Plexiglass in the flat panels can be purchased at any glass store (window makers), but the cost can be quite prohibitive for as much space as you have to cover. Where I live 1/8" plex costs $5/square foot and isn't all that strong. Thicker pieces go way up from there. Those wavy panels would probably be way less money. I'm using plex on several windows, but they are for smaller sections, so I'll pay about $15/window, which is considerably more reasonable. Actually, my dad sells the stuff, so I'll get it at a discount, but if I didn't want to let in the light, I would probably cover the windows with wood instead.

Well, it sounds like plexiglass or even those polycarb wavy panels will have to wait until next year. i've spent so much on our chicken village since moving here, that we are just about tapped out.

Did find some 6mm clear plastic sheeting at Lowes yesterday. It's not really clear, more like milky, but does let in sunlight. i have three runs/pens for silkies and showgirls, along with this new coop, so this seems like the best and most economical way for now. Got the main silkie pen covered on the windy side yesterday. Made a huge difference. Those poor girls were just about as puffed up as they could get, and cowering in a corner. Now they're running around again. Then started on the open sections of this new coop. Then it got too dark to see. i'll finish it today and it should help hold the heat in while they sleep.

Ohh It's great !... I think you could do with a latch on there just for extra protection, that you can put a padlock on... the front door of our coop has a slide across latch, like the kind you use on a horse stall, that you can padlock shut, so whenever I'm not out there the coop gets padlocked shut, there's no way a racoon, fisher, bear, nothing could get in unless they came into our house, got the keys, and unlocked the padlock
smile.png
Even then, they still have to get over the feed bin sitting infront of the door, and then get through the divider wall between our area, and the chickens area LOL.

Our pop door which actually lifts up front outside and latchs to the side of the building has a slide across bolt, and a flip latch with a padlock on it... SUPER SECURE

Quote:
Home Depot and Lowe's both sell the flat plexiglass. Look near the window glass area. One of them (I can't remember which) has it back by the bathroom stuff.

i guess i need to look again at Lowes and Home Depot. If i could buy some plexiglass for a reasonable price, that would be better. i put up the "clear" plastic sheeting on all my pens last couple of days, as the winds were hideous. But they really aren't clear, and i don't like not being able to see my birds or for them to see out. It's okay on this coop's windows, as they only go in there to sleep. But this plastic is just a temporary fix.

i will also pick up a couple of those latches, where you can attach a lock. You all are right, that these slide locks are not very secure at all. The chickens can't open them, but that's about all.

Quote:
Raccoons were able to open my slider lock and I lost a couple chickens even with my coop closed up!
We have the latches you can lock but instead of a lock I have kind of like a carabiner on them. It
screws closed. I'll go take a pic and post it so you can see. I got them at my local small hardware store
but I'm sure Lowe's/ Home depot would have them. They were cheaper than a lock and you dont have to remember a combo or have a key.

Back
Top Bottom