Coop and Pen Finally Done (almost) - Suggestions?

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
i bought a used coop from a man who used it for pigeons. Power washed it for about a month to get all the poop out. We did some painting, i added hardware cloth, and roosts. Since our land was sloped, we put pavers under to level the coop, and then ladled concrete around the bottom. It looks a bit tacky now. My plan is to cover all those bricks with concrete, then decorate it with interesting rocks and stones, so it looks magical, or at least better.
smile.png
One question here though, for winter i think we should cover the front sections with something, for warmth. Other than tarps or plastic sheeting, is there something that would work better? Maybe plexiglass or solid panels that bolt in, then they can be removed in the Spring?

coop12.jpg

i have three latches on the door, one a slide lock, then two spring locks, one on the top and one on the bottom. They are pretty hard to latch, those spring locks, so thinking they will be good for predator protection? Please let me know if you think i can do better there.

coop13.jpg

Here is a front view of the coop and pen. We used fencing pieces from Lowes, then put in posts and staple gunned in chicken wire. We still have a bit of painting to do.

coop17.jpg

Side View
coop16.jpg

The pen area is up against our shed, so i attached hardware cloth to the side of the shed, bent it inwards, then put bricks and cement on the bottom edge.
coop6.jpg

This is a make-shift gate at the rear corner of the pen.
coop7.jpg

Not sure if you can see, but we put aviary netting across the entire top of the run.
coop8.jpg

Here is the back corner.
coop9.jpg

Other side view and front gate. i have since filled in that corner with hardware cloth. The gate and the area above all have hardware cloth. Thinking i need to level and put pavers under the door, to prevent digging.
coop3-2.jpg

The gate is latched with a slide lock and then a spring latch at the bottom.
coop4.jpg

coop5.jpg

We also got some cute stained glass pieces to add charm.
cooplast.jpg

Another picture, just because.
coop2-3.jpg

i would love to hear suggestions on how to make the pen area more secure. We have seen raccoons in our yard at night, but not near the chicken pens. i know a raccoon could get through the chicken wire and aviary netting, but i think the coop is secure. Please let me know if i'm wrong. Thanks for taking the time to look!

Colleen

Last edited by a moderator:
One question here though, for winter i think we should cover the front sections with something, for warmth. Other than tarps or plastic sheeting, is there something that would work better? Maybe plexiglass or solid panels that bolt in, then they can be removed in the Spring?

I would pick the clear plexiglass instead of solid panels. I think if you use the clearer plexiglass, not only will it block weather and wind, but your birds will get natural sunlight and some warmth. They may even sit there and sunbathe in the light in the dead of winter.​

i have three latches on the door, one a slide lock, then two spring locks, one on the top and one on the bottom. They are pretty hard to latch, those spring locks, so thinking they will be good for predator protection? Please let me know if you think i can do better there.

We haven't had any predator problems in the hen house, probably because our Great Pyr keeps them at bay. We have the spring locks on the hen house door that opens up inside our barn. We felt they were the best choice for us. However, it doesn't look in your picture as if you are actually closing them, which is a really bad habit to get into to. The slide lock can be opened by a toddler, and therefore, can be opened by a raccoon. But I think if you ever forget to lock the spring locks, you've got a raccoon buffet waiting to happen.​

Since our land was sloped, we put pavers under to level the coop, and then ladled concrete around the bottom. ..... The pen area is up against our shed, so i attached hardware cloth to the side of the shed, bent it inwards, then put bricks and cement on the bottom edge.

If the floor of your hen house is the pavers, and you have the hardware cloth as you described on the sides, it sounds like you may have done an excellent job of preventing any predators from digging in underneath.
smile.png

nice coops , i agree the way you coop is made, the plexiglass would be ideal if that is not to pricey. i have never looked at plexiglass, i dont know what that stuff runs.

wendy

One comment I had would be to make sure the chicken wire is attached securely. I have heard that staples are not the best way to attach it. You may have used larger staples, but the ones I used would pull right out. You could pick up a box of poulty nails from the hardware store and double use them as well. Another way to do it is to put trim over the fencing staples and screw that to the wood. Let me know if you have any questions. I think this makes sense, but I'm a little tired today! Good Luck!

One other note you could use the clear plastic building panels to protect them from the winter. You can get an 8' sheet for around $20 or so.

The plexiglass really adds a nice touch for solar heat and this year I'm adding a double pane to all my coops -it really adds the light and heat which we really need in Alaska! Nice set up:) I put the hook n eye's on the inside of the doors for our wind...

Nice coop! The front of your coop looks a lot like mine... wood framing around 1" x 2" hardware cloth. Even though I live in CA, we've had 8 - 10" of snow and many freezing nights. I just bought the clear, wavy panels to use over the open front. An 8' sheet was about $12.00, plus we bought the wavy trim pieces that make it easier to attach to the wood framing, about another $5.00 for 4 pieces.

LOL, after finding frost this morning I'd better get them installed this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom