Coop and Run are Finally (almost) Done!

I think most all of us evolve as we need with our chook spaces and care. I know I did X10. I had what I thought was a great plan when I started but then my chickens and chicken math handed me a new plan. So my old plan was essentially a great start... I still tinker and adjust as I go and I think that is part of my chicken keeping fun forsure.
I started with a open coop because to close it up would be too hot for chickens in my area. Not conventional but functional and as we grew I added and subtracted here and there. My nest box- well, my first one, is able to open and close much like @BanoOmg's. I open it in the summers and close in the winters, a very easy clean and sometimes it is the nest box(s) all squawk for and sometimes ignored.
I guess the big challenge will be how disruptive and brazen will the coyotes be? I can't imagine a pack of wild dogs patrolling my area and can snakes get into the nest box? I see that young @BanoOmg and ms have some building skills and I bet they will do the tweaking as they see needed or when their new feathered masters command them to.

Last edited:
That looks great. Your run looks similar to what are starting to build, so I’m curious about the roof. we are planning to use metal panels but I wasn’t sure if there was a way for any critter to get under them. Is that lattice under your roofing? Is it to attach the panels to?

I had a flock here a few years ago. I never had an issue with coyotes getting into the hen pen then. I had two small coops and two different height runs connected beneath the coops. I felt pretty clever then, because it let me just block up that one spot under the coops when I added birds. The smaller run was just enclosed in chicken wire. I think I did a layer on both the inside and outside of the frame. The larger was chicken wire over chain link.

That's when I learned how great chicken wire is for letting rats get away from me. I gave them lovely hiding spots, and an ample supply of chicken food. Hardware cloth all the way now!

@Appalachickens The roof is metal panels over a lattice. It's not necessary, but we were building over/around an existing structure. You'll need something to attach the panels, but it can just be 2x4's or whatever you're using as support. You'll just need wood going perpendicular to the main support ones to screw the panels on. I don't know how to say it exactly; she's the real builder, I'm just the apprentice!

I'll try to get some pics today, if I can see it through the lattice.

We also used scrap 2x4's between the roof support beams, because I was sick of cutting hardware cloth but needed to fill those gaps.

I also went through and used gap filler foam under every ridge of the roofing panels. She used caulk on the seams where each panel overlapped, as well as under each of the roofing screws' washers where she had to redo a screw.

Got some pics.

Here are a couple of the foamed gaps. I might go in and make it pretty later, but I am prioritizing function over aesthetics for now.

U0jQvgH.jpg

tc0wGIL.jpg

Here's a shot from beneath the lattice. This is what I meant by "wood going perpendicular to the main support"

szgMwAN.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of the inside of my closed up coop. All light is natural sunlight. Is it too bright? I'll be putting in nest boxes when the chickens are older.

6RTM4lN.jpg

Got some pics.

Here are a couple of the foamed gaps. I might go in and make it pretty later, but I am prioritizing function over aesthetics for now.

U0jQvgH.jpg

tc0wGIL.jpg

Here's a shot from beneath the lattice. This is what I meant by "wood going perpendicular to the main support"

szgMwAN.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of the inside of my closed up coop. All light is natural sunlight. Is it too bright? I'll be putting in nest boxes when the chickens are older.

6RTM4lN.jpg
Thanks for the photos. The roofing is the one part of the run I'm still sorting through in my plans.

Not too bright at all - better for them to be able to see and get around, than having to add artificial lighting later. I know some folks like their nest boxes dark, but I've even cut windows into mine to brighten the space up and it never stopped the chickens from using them.

Back
Top Bottom